Notices

Need a reminder

Old 12-24-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Need a reminder

For anyone reading and responding to posts at the moment...remind me please that I do not drink. That tomorrow is a new day.

Really atypically rough day with work. Heading into a really atypically tough situation with a ton of alcohol. I would beg out but I have all the presents in my trunk for a few kiddos who are already asleep in anticipation of santa's arrival.

Thanks for your time everyone and I really appreciate you guys. Hope there is a sober smile on your face
Old 12-24-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it, drinking is not going to change a workday that already happened, and is only going to make tomorrow suck too...
Old 12-24-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't do it friend! Deliver those kiddies their gifts and then get out of there!
Old 12-24-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

You can do this Verte, it's just your AV talking. Talk back to it.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Verte you do not drink.
Stay with us and make sure that you check SR on your cell while there.
If you still feel edgy, just leave the presents for the kids and make an excuse to go.
You don't have to please anyone and your sobriety is more important than anything else.
Here is MIR's excellent post on the subject
What I have to do
Looking back over a few 24 hours I have discovered there are very, very few things I have to do. I don't have to go to parties, wedding receptions, family functions and the list going on and on.

What I do have to do, is never ever take that first drink by guarding my sobriety like my life depended on it because it does. I have had uncomfortable conversations, numerous eye rolls, and ruffled feathers but most in my life still love me and more importantly I am sober. Normal drinkers never have and never will understand.

When my son got married I had to go to the wedding, I had to help with expenses but I didn't have to go to the reception. I told everyone that mattered I made no guarantees about how long or if I would be at the reception. My son gets it. He said, "Dad, I would rather have you alive and sober for the rest of your life than to have you at my reception for one night." As it turned out I was there most of the night and had a great time

Over the years people have given up trying to coax or guilt me into doing things concerning alcohol that I am not comfortable with. They know my wishes are non-negotiable so there is no point in even trying.

On occasions I do go to events with alcohol because I want to. I enjoy the company of a group of people that are normal drinkers. I have told a couple of them they are abusing alcohol because they drink half a glass of wine and leave the rest. To me that is alcohol abuse. In these situations I always drive separately and leave if I am feeling anxious. I don't go to drinking situations because I have to. I go to have an enjoyable time. If it is not enjoyable there is no point in going.

With all the drinking at this time of year I wanted to put down in writing how this alcoholic does it and continues to do it.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, Verte,

You can do this, my friend. You don't drink.

Your SR friends are walking next to you.

V.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You don't drink. Please remind me of the same thing. I'm not at any risk, but there was a moment...just a moment. Then I realized I had been eating too much sugar and thinking too much.

You've got this. It's just Christmas Past jacking with you. Or something.

Music?

Old 12-24-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Don't do it Verte! Read over some of your old posts or look at some of the horror stories in the "Friends and Family" section to see the disaster brought on by alcohol.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Verte, I've been reading your posts for a long time and I've learned you're strong and wise... AND you don't drink. You got this! Stay close to SR. We're in your corner. You're not alone.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

YOU DON'T DRINK!!

I needed that today, too. Had a moment myself today. I just wanted an escape. I'm having some cookies right now and I'll have some chamomile later. It'll help.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You don't drink.

I don't drink.

Thank God..

We are in good company here...

Check in here...
Old 12-24-2015, 08:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Thanks so much you guys. Seriously.

Here's the truth. I'm really beat, as in tired. And it is a full moon today, right? (yes, NikTes, I noticed that surprising post number). So it is full moon beat

After I read your good words, I asked myself "Why today? Why now?" and realized that I have been doing a dang good job of making sure that I do not become Hungry, Angry, Lonely AND Tired - all at the same time. Not surprisingly, it just so happens that I found myself hungry, angry, lonely, tired. So I ate some pears and reheated mashed potatoes and gravy.

Yes, my cookie diet over the last month has run its course and is now requiring payment while simultaneously delivering nothing but the sugar blues.

Yes, the ghosts of Xmas past. SO true.

Guess what? After taking care of the H, A, & L, I find that I am really, really Tired, as I mentioned earlier. So I cancelled my plans for (what is too late) tonight, am going to stop racing the clock, finish up some more work, put my feet up, read some SR while watching an episode of season 2, The Royals. That's the "T".

Thanks to you all, my friends. For being here and offering support even if difficulty may have been predictable or obvious. Difficulty surprises me sometimes and I appreciate that you are here.

Ah, the angry part makes my heart ache. But tomorrow IS another day. I will not dwell. As my pscyh suggested, notice, hold and examine it. Try not to reject this part of the self or it grows stronger. Or something like that.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Great work, Verte!!!! Tomorrow is a new day.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Awesome
Get some well deserved rest now and

Old 12-24-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You and I don't drink. We know all too well where that leads and it's a place we don't want to go.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it through Verte
we non drinkers tend to do that

I hope the rest of the festive season will be the restive season for you

DD
Old 12-24-2015, 11:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You're an inspiration to all of us here, Verte. Hope you're catching up on some sleep and that your holidays are happy ones.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job making it through Verte
Old 12-25-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas Verte!
Old 12-25-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great job on making it through Verte . . . did I mention "you don't drink"!!

Have a Merry Christmas!!