I did it.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I did it.

Following up on the "Help - losing her and self esteem is flip flopping" thread, she and I were scheduled to do a co-therapy session with my therapist tonight.

She wanted to seek closure by getting me to admit my role in all the hurt and our on/off history, and admit there was much more going on than just alcohol.

I just emailed her telling her the session is cancelled (it isn't - I'm going to use it for my own healing instead of trying to debate her). I asked her not to respond to my email. I acknowledged that we've each settled into our mutual positions, and I respect that. I then attached the final message I have for her, which I originally planned to read out loud in the therapy session.

That message puts the focus squarely back on alcohol. I explained I'm not going to offer her the closure she wants because I don't agree with it. I asserted that we had standard couple problems, as all couples do, but it was singularly alcohol, and the refusal to seriously address it, that brought down the relationship. I acknowledged she is not at fault for being an alcoholic, but neither am I nor have I ever been the cause of her problems. I finally wished her happiness and asked her to seek the hard path going forward, not the easy path, because she is worth it.

This is a huge step forward for me. I'm no longer negotiating for the relationship and I'm no longer begging for her attention. I love her, but I'm gently pushing her away now. Today is the first day I've made that clear.

Thank you, all.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Really well done, SO.

She will most likely continue to try to lay blame and guilt on you. I would suggest blocking her calls, texts, emails, facebook, wherever she can contact you if you think it will be difficult to stand your ground.

I had to finally get the police involved in my last breakup because he would call 30 times a day after I had broken up with him. This was before it was possible to block people.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you! I hope you have a great counseling session and walk away with positive forward momentum (as well as some peace) in your life!
Old 12-03-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done! I know that must have been difficult. You've inspired me! You are so brave, sending you gentle hugs. Take care of yourself.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm reading. I'm fine, not drinking. Thanks for checking on me.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Perfect response

Wishing you the best--
Old 12-09-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SO,

How are you doing?