Notices

Started drinking out of boredom and job

Old 11-15-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Started drinking out of boredom and job

So, I started a new job 6 months ago delivering bread to grocery stores. I work 10 hours a day and I start my day at 3am. By the time I get home I'm exhausted, but I don't want to take a nap and feel like I do nothing but work... so I started a bad habit of drinking like 4 or 5 shots a day getting drunk until I eventually pass out on the couch. Anyways, I'm hooked now and I'm always looking forward to going home and getting drunk. I need to stop! Just looking for support in the future weeks. It seems the minute I feel bored I get the urge to just drink. I need a new hobby as well. Basically I'm in a bad spot!
Old 11-15-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome breaddude. There's a lot of support and great people here who can help you.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It's surprising how quickly the alcohol hooks us, isn't it! It sounds like you're ready to make a change, so finding something to do and to look forward to when you finish work is a great idea. Do you go to a gym or exercise? That could be a good choice, or how about meeting a friend for coffee? I hope you can find something that works for you.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Breaddude
Old 11-15-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! It snuck up on me too!
Old 11-15-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Since you work 10 hours a day and start at 3 am, that gives you plenty of time to find other things instead of going straight home. Maybe check out an AA meeting, or like Anna said start going to a gym, or just take a walk, or check out a movie. Anything you can come up with to break that cycle would probably help. John
Old 11-15-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was the same way for many years. After a long day, all I wanted was to zone out with some beers watching TV. I dint know how people have the energy to go to the gym after a 10 hour work day haha.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to the site.

I worked odd hours for a lot of years, too. It was really difficult not to stop by the liquor store, if they were open, and grab some booze to help me sleep. That was my excuse, anyway, I really just wanted to get drunk. If it was too late at night for the store to be open, I'd make sure I had some stocked up at home.

I worked in the entertainment business, so it was a drinking society at work. We'd all pile into the bar and drink at lunch, or dinner, and on breaks.
I had found my calling, since I was already an alcoholic when I got into the business.
No one cared if you drank at work, unless you were falling down drunk. And there were guys who were.
I used all this as an excuse to drink. It was the life style.

Long story short, after seeing two colleagues drink themselves to death I got scared.
It took me awhile but I finally did quit with the help of this site and AA.
I drank because I was bored too. Or because I wasn't. I didn't need an excuse, I was hooked and a full blown alcoholic.

It's great you realize you may have a problem with drink. There are ways out before you hit the bottoms I did. This site and other support groups help many of us.
You're not alone. You made a big step admitting you may have a problem. Now, it's time for action because drinking gets progressive. How you go about it is up to you. I hope you do find the help you need. We're all here for you.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome BreadDude