Would you ever...(question for spouses/partners)

Old 11-13-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Would you ever...(question for spouses/partners)

This may be a controversial question to ask. If I don't phrase it properly, let me use full disclosure in saying that I do not mean to offend anyone...

This is for the spouses/exes of current and/or recovering addicts:

Would you ever consider dating someone in RECOVERY given your history with your ex/partner now?
Old 11-13-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not for all the money in the world.

It is way too slippery a slope and I am way too jaded when it comes to addiction.

Been there done that. Once was more then enough for me .

In other words..... F*** No (that is my opinion of course)
Old 11-13-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Definitely not. My ex was 8 years sober when I met him. But now I don't even know if that part was true!
Old 11-13-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As someone who is in recovery, it would be, I think, terribly hypocritical to say that I wouldn't. HOWEVER, I wouldn't specifically seek somebody out from the rooms and I would definitely try to avoid it. It can become a huge, uncomfortable mess when people break-up, even if it's not relapse related.

Addicts are people, too and some of us do recover. At least from the substance part of it.

And I think perhaps this is why I continue to hold out for my ABF…my belief is that if I can do it anybody can.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by hopepraylove View Post
This may be a controversial question to ask. If I don't phrase it properly, let me use full disclosure in saying that I do not mean to offend anyone...

This is for the spouses/exes of current and/or recovering addicts:

Would you ever consider dating someone in RECOVERY given your history with your ex/partner now?
Pardon my bluntness, but f*ck no.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

no, I wouldn't. this is my second go around and I can't do it again
Old 11-13-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HELLLLLLLL no.

My AXBF was a recovering addict when I met him. And guess what? He become active again. After 9 years. It can happen at anytime and I can't live with that fear and anxiety again.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Heck no………..absolutely not!!!!!

If I met someone and they disclosed they were in recovery……..that would be a BIG OLD RED FLAG and time for me to exit.

If I met someone and they didn’t disclose they were in recovery and I found out they were……….that would be a BIG OLD RED FLAG and time for me to exit.

What’s that expression………….

First time is a mistake – second time is a choice.

Believe me I learned the first time around there won't be a second.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All I can say is

I choose friends and partners based on their Actions, not their words. This I know. I also know I attract people who are like me. If I am lining up some unsettling relationships that don't create calm in my life, I look at me. And choose differently.

Saying goodbye can be the best thing for them and me.

I move s l o w l y these days!
Old 11-13-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No way.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'd rather eat a bucket of broken glass.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Choicy View Post
All I can say is

I choose friends and partners based on their Actions, not their words. This I know. I also know I attract people who are like me. If I am lining up some unsettling relationships that don't create calm in my life, I look at me. And choose differently.

Saying goodbye can be the best thing for them and me.

I move s l o w l y these days!
Choicy,

I appreciate your response. "I also know I attract people who are like me." This really resonated with me. Thank you XX
Old 11-13-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. It's pretty amazing that everyone said "no," essentially.

I just started going on dates..I've been on two since my ex and I broke up back in July/August. S L O W L Y getting into it. Hesitant.

Both men I've gone out with have been in recovery. (This was not by choice...) I met one through a friend (he has a year sober), and the other I met on a dating website (he disclosed he was in recovery on the first date-8 years sober, not prior).

I don't think I'll go on second dates with either. Both seem like great, kind people and I'm sure they are. But, it's just too much of a risk...especially having had a relationship with my ex while he was in active Opiate addiction.

There must be something in me that is drawn to this...and/or vice versa.

Hugs.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hopepraylove, you asked Would you ever consider dating someone in RECOVERY given your history with your ex/partner now?

My knee-jerk response is that I agree with Zoso.

Been there, done that, my childhood with my father, my brother, my husband. All alcoholics, wildly dysfunctional and happy to create and live in the middle of recurring emotional hurricanes...

But, as I think about it, I would actually reframe that question.

I agree with Choicy's comment: I also know I attract people who are like me. If I am lining up some unsettling relationships that don't create calm in my life, I look at me. And choose differently.

It doesn't matter as much who the other person in the relationship is as much as who I am and what I bring and who I attract to me.

When, 3.5 years ago, I literally ran away from my then abusive alcoholic narcissistic terrifying husband of 20 years, I left all that behind me. I spent the next 2.5 years trying to figure out why I was so attracted to and captive to all that dysfunction.

Waited 2.5 years to date until I had a chance to sort myself out and be more the person I want to be. Till the lure of the "exhilarating but damaged dashing intriguing" model had faded. That took quite a while. You can get addicted to drama as much as to substances, and for me, growing up as I did, upheaval, drama, chaos, volatility was normal for my family and seemed normal to me.

Now I just say "I don't do drama." If a conversation veers that way, I participate a bit, and then I just say "I can't go there." And, since I'm no longer choosing people in my life by how exciting (read "chaotic") they can make it, my friends understand when I say that, and own their own stuff.

If I can't fix anybody else's life, and it took me 60 years of life to really learn that and believe it, then I don't have to absorb their drama and chaos.

Life feels so much better to me these days. More happiness, more acceptance that what comes my way comes my way, and I can't have and don't need much at all to be happy. And I can deal with the stuff I can solve and let the rest (and sometimes its owners) go.

I'd say, from my experience, way way too early to be out dating. Taking the time for inner transformation was vital for me, and it took time and introspection and intense work, and every moment of it was and continues to be worth the time and effort.

I'd say take the time and give yourself the freedom to relate to yourself first. Then people you want to be with will be attracted to you and you'll easily turn away from the dysfunctional. Said with great empathy, take what you want and leave the rest.

ShootingStar1
Old 11-13-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Masochist?????
No way!
Old 11-13-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I haven't even dated for two years. No way no how never ever. Would much rather be alone than back in that situation ever again.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by overit263 View Post
I haven't even dated for two years. No way no how never ever. Would much rather be alone than back in that situation ever again.
Same here. My ex got married within a few months of me leaving. I haven't so much as met someone for coffee. I posted this on the F&F of Alcoholics side, but it seems worth repeating here. A big part of my recovery has been not dating. The way I used to "recover" from my unhealthy relationships was to immediately jump into another one. I compared it to an alcoholic who starts a new binge before they're over their last hangover, because it really was the same type of compulsive behavior.
I think I'll know when and if I'm ready to dip my toe into the water again. But the time is not right yet. I've still got so many things I want to do for myself before I devote any time and energy to another person.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Shooting star ...

You post reminds me of a realization I had many years ago that I was so comfortably at home in the madness and chaos. This is one place I hope to never be again. This is one place I wonder if we would even go back to if we took the time to heal and learn who we are.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

good question - for me the answer is a resounding no. I have broken parts in me that apparently are drawn to addictive people. I have had experiences with friends in long term recovery and that has gone well. My heart and friendship are open to all that choose that lifestyle.

In terms of a romantic/life partnership relationship the answer has to be a definite NO. I have seen the risk that comes with those relationships and the realities of what it costs when recovery is thrown aside is way too high for me. I think it has to be an individual thing....I am not judgmental about anyone, however, for me, my life experiences have taught me that the risk is just way too high.

I left my ex 4 1/2 years ago and really have not dated since then. I've worked on me and stricved to rebuild the severely damaged relationships with my sons (due to the experience with my ex). I realize that I still have miles to go - recently, I found myself truly attracted to someone for the 1st time since I've been single. Luckily, I knew to recognize what it was and to walk away (finally choosing to walk down a different street when I see pot holes!). Guess what? He is a 9 year sober, former running buddy of my ex. Doing the deal, working a recovery. But....the one person that I've been attracted to in 4+ years? Really? Former rack cocaine/IV drug abuser? REALLY????
Anyway.....keeping him in the friend zone is what I chose to do with that. I don't want to ride that ride ever again......and the only way to do that is not to get on and hope for different results.

I wish everyone well in recovery (especially myself!). I think we each have to chose what is best for us individually. Apparently, I will continue to be drawn to addictive people but that doesn't mean that I will get involved. I can control that part of the equation!
Old 11-14-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's only your choice but factoring in your susceptibility, IE, distorted trust layered on potentiality it might be wise to endure the rigours of singledom for awhile yet. We are so used to being pared by chemical as a way forward that its absence causes a void. There you can heal but if you add it will only magnify your loss of self. Healing is about returning to self/wholeness. Allow yourself to be pursued whilst you pursue your own. (goals) Love is free.