Notices

Girlfriend gone

Old 11-03-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Girlfriend gone

My girlfriend has moved out for what we have said will be a few days. I need to make sure her goldfish George is looked after whilst she is away. In short it's giving me some thinking time.

There are issues on both sides , I realise that I'm just using the forum here to basically offload relationship concerns without actually actively looking at what I can do to make the situation better. I'm no saint, I could do more. I think it will be bad if we break for good. I'm still tossing things around in my head at the minute.

She has stood by me through all the bad drinking / depression / anxiety. Anyone who follows me on here only need look back at my post history it has been ALL about my issues and problems. I feel pretty selfish to be honest looking back, I am fortunate to have the support I do have. Then again, I never asked for depression or anxiety.

The main things I feel will improve things are if my girlfriend can be there for the parts of the week my daughter is around and that we set some quality time each week for each other. Part if me is still thinking what life would be like on my own. Trouble is, I think a lot of my challenges will always be there no matter what girl I'm with.

I'm sorry for just relaying my issues here, I thought I may get some clarity. I think I need to look at it myself to find that

This is hard, being sober full time is hard. I pray it will get easier and I can be happier about myself and my situation soon
Old 11-03-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Stewy, I'm really glad of how you have grown to taking care of your daughter. That is maturity, responsibility, and love.

You've grown a lot this year. Keep growing.

Take care of George.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, I'm glad that you posted about this. I think a short break is something that could be beneficial for both of you. You're right that she has stayed with you through the difficult times, and undoubtedly she has tried to help you. And, you have been struggling to find ways to live happily and sober. I think it's a great idea for you two to set some quality time together. Maybe you can make it a time when you don't talk about problems and issues, but just enjoy each other's company.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hey stewy, I've been following your posts and having some time away I think will do some good. As far as the other issues, depression and anxiety, you're right you'll have those no matter who you're with. I suffer from those also. They are a work all by themselves. I don't have an answer for you on them as I'm sure you've seen a dr for them. AD's will work for me for awhile and then not so much. I'm using mindful meditation for the anxiety, works pretty well but anxiety for me isn't debilitating. The depression is worse.

Take this time away from your gf to work on you and time with your daughter.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been away but based on what I read before that a break isn't a bad idea Stewy - if you're thinking about stuff, hopefully your gf is too

D
Old 11-03-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Never apologise for posting Stewy, if you're feeling things or just want to type a few things out, there's people around that are here to listen!!

Support is what SR is all about!!
Old 11-03-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SR is a good sounding board, Stewy. I am glad that you post here.

I hope that you and girl friend can reach a good understanding on the workings and dynamics of your relationship.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I feel like I'm slipping back down again. Lonely and I've isolated myself further.

Hard to even get up today
Old 11-04-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Stewy84 View Post
In short it's giving me some thinking time

I could do more.

She has stood by me through all the bad drinking / depression / anxiety.

It has been ALL about MY issues and MY problems. I feel pretty selfish to be honest looking back.

The main things I feel will improve things are if my girlfriend can.....

Trouble is, I think a lot of my challenges will always be there no matter what girl I'm with

I may get some clarity, I think I need to look at it myself to find that

This is hard, being sober full time is hard. I pray it will get easier and I can be happier
Stewy I'm your brother from another mother
Old 11-04-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You're doing great!

Being alone is not being lonely.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel like I'm slipping back down again. Lonely and I've isolated myself further.

Those days are the worst. You have to pop your head out of the cloud and try and make it through...
I personally find writing things down really helps me. Even if only I see it, seeing it all on paper there seems very therapeutic. Do you have someone you trust that you could talk to? Even a phone call with an old friend can sometimes do wonders to make you feel less alone.
Hang in there
Old 11-04-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

it does get easier.

try to stay focused on the core of recovery and taking the steps to ensure YOU are well and your sobriety is deepening.

The rest will take care of itself along the way.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't let yourself stall. Being alone need not be the same as isolating

This is a great chance for you to think about the kind of life you want and what you need to do now to get there Stewy

D