Notices

Hello All - Time to Stop

Old 10-28-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MLT

Hello All - Time to Stop

Hello All

Well i think i've hit that point everyone here must get to where enough is enough. I've been what i think they call a high functioning alcoholic for about 10 years now, drinking every day and often by myself. I travel away a lot for work and the drink is 'free' with expenses and at hotel / airport lounges so i drink way more than is healthy but convince myself it's ok. I've then continued to drink at home on the weekends, often excessively and often when my wife and kids are out or cant see. I dont even get drunk now, just drink for no reason, to dull my senses. Every day by 5pm i think about when and where and how much and I end up having to have paracetomol to sort out a sore head both before i go to bed and when i wake up

Ive always just assumed its normal for working middle class guys to drink heavily (a lot of my peers do) bit ive got to the point where im really tired, feel like crap, have put on way too much weight, wake up early most nights and worse have developed a nasty temper, become really judgemental and developed a terrible short term memory often mixing up words when sober

So im starting again, today is day 2, im away on work and am about to go to for a run outside instead of the hotel bar

I dont want my young kids to grow up with their dad like this but although ive tried to give up before i've always failed - i've never done it in a group or a forum though and reading some of the posts on here i think it will really help to have the support not to cave in

tks for reading ...
Old 10-28-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Me too!

Hi there
I have joined today I need this forum I am on day one and this time I am serious. That's great going for a run this will help you sleep too. I have read the books done the journal I am a functioning alcoholic I hide it very well. I can no longer live like this I feel I'll all the time no focus moody etc.. Enough a enough!
Old 10-28-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome MLT. You'll find a ton of support here at SR. One of the main reasons I quit was also for my kids. I felt my kids shouldn't be punished for having a weak father who chooses to drink every day. I woke up one day after 21 years of heavy drinking and knew my tomorrows were absolutely running out quickly at the rate I was going.

Stick close to SR and congratulations on day 2!
Old 10-28-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome MLT
Old 10-28-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR,MLT.

I did the same thing for a while. Spent a lot of time living out of a suit case and my drinking began to skyrocket. It's when I moved from beer to drinking hard stuff.
You know, that whole "high functioning" thing will only last so long. And besides, you will see how much more you will function without alcohol in your life anymore.
I'm glad you decided to stop now. It's really no life to live and it's true, if you continue you'll miss a lot of your kids lives. Been there done that unfortunately.
You can do it.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My dad ended up divorced. Then he died at age 41. No one would have called him an alcoholic, he hid it well.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MLT

Tks all

And thanks Jenn

Looks like we're kind of starting together so let's keep in touch

Went for the run, (more of a plod really) am seriously out of shape and it was a struggle but enjoyed it! Gave me 20 mins to think and almost felt the alcohol sweating out of me - going to set a challenge to myself to do a 10k in 45 minutes - focus on that and go training in the evenings when the cravings hit

Again tks for the welcome and I'll be sure to check in again soon as in sure I'll have weak days and questions !
Old 10-28-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome MLT,

I, too, found that stopping drinking was easier than trying to moderate.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome and you sound a lot like me. Business trips, dinners etc and I also was having problems getting drunk but always wanted more and always felt like poop. I'm about 10 months in and feeling alot better mentally and physically. Stay here and get some friends.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum MLT!!
Old 10-28-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR fam!!☺👋
Old 10-28-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi MLT - I'm so glad you joined us. We have to be ready to change our lives, and it sounds like you're motivated. It helps to be here with those who understand and care.

Congrats on your Day 2. You can do it!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, MLT. You've come to a great place for support, encouragement and understanding.

Like Anna, I found quitting so much easier than moderation (at which I failed every single time).

Again, welcome.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You won't regret getting sober. It's awesome.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Having a plan is awesome

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 10-29-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good job choosing to run instead of go to the bar and drink!!

I went trail running in my neck of the woods yesterday and it was fantastic! Love the fresh autumn air, the smell of the woods..the views...wanted to stay out longer, but had to get home and think about fixing dinner!