Notices

LeaveItUpToHigherPower?

Old 10-28-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

LeaveItUpToHigherPower?

I am finding it hard to believe in a higher power. I need help from my HP but dont know how. I am struggling with a decision I need to make and want help and was suggested seeking answers in my HP. but whats the point? It just seems like I'm having a conversation in my own messed up head. Do i talk out loud so my HP can hear me and help me? or is it just my own brain playing tricks on me? I hope i'm making sense, im just so sad and lost.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi, back2thegoodME!

I found it helpful to have conversations with others instead of in my head. Coming here and posting is one answer, but I found AA meetings to be more helpful because there was also a set of Steps that outline my relationship with my higher power.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Here's a couple ideas based on things I've done in the past;

1 - write down the pros and cons to a decision, burn up that piece of paper in a can, go to a high bluff or hill at sundown and say out loud "please guide me" while spreading the ashes on the breeze...... then go home, go to bed, and make the decision first thing in the morning upon rising based only upon your strongest intuition.

2 - Sit quietly and gaze into a candle flame, with the intention of hearing through your own inner voice, the direction of your Higher Power's guidance on your decision.

3 - Simply TRUST in the answer that has most frequently arisen for you. TRUST that your gut response actually IS your Higher Power's guidance for you and that all the 'what if's' and all the 'shoulds' and all the senses of obligation and all the worries and second guesses are the noise of the world and the uncertainties that cause us to lose touch with our intuitive connection to Higher Power's guidance. Is there a consistent pull for you that - behind all the doubts - is the one that comes up for you as the decision your heart wants to make? that's probably the one to make. Follow that, and hold FAITH that Higher Power has your back.

4 - Trust in the answer you choose, regardless, and don't look back. We can get hung up on decisions. But the only time we know if they were 'right' is in retrospect. And even then, what may seem 'right' at one point may seem entirely 'wrong' at another. At the end of the day, whatever decision we make is the decision we needed to make at that time. We go forward into that decision and we learn and grow and change and take from the experience both lessons and joys. So, another way to approach this is to simply CHOOSE - and put your energy into having faith that your choice and your Higher Power will lead you in the direction of the Next Right Thing For You.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You may want to look at alternatives to the twelve-step approach. Look at SMART Recovery, Lifering or Rational Recovery as possibilities. All of them have online programs if there are no meetings in your area. Rational Recovery does not have meetings. You can check it out by going to the Rational Recovery website and checking out the Crash Course that is offered there for no cost. Many people have found the course sufficient to quit and stay quit. There is also a book titled "Rational Recovery" that goes into more detail. There is also a measure of AA bashing in the book so be forewarned.

I, too, had problems with the "higher power" part of AA as well as the disease concept and the "powerlessness" part. But, that's just me. AA has helped a lot of people get sober. So have the other programs though and sobriety is certainly worth some effort in exploring the various alternatives.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

AA provides us through step work the spiritual tools to live our life. These tools are often misunderstood. Simply they are surrender - steps 1, 2 and 3 - sharing 4,5,6&7 - restitution 8&9 and guidance 10,11&12.

AA teaches us two way praying = Prayer(output) and meditation(input) puts us in contact with a Power greater than ourselves. But, it takes time - the first element is simply stacking sober time.

Do you attend meetings/ have a sponsor and do step work??? AA is not typically self guided. I find the combination of SR and AA very helpful.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Higher power=God=Good orderly direction. People are my higher power. Doing the right thing and helping othwrs is greater than myself. The 3rd step is important because we need to get outside of ourselves. Life is about more than just you. Keep it simple. 3rd step is making a decision to try to change. You can do it!
Old 10-28-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Letting things go is a great skill talking to your higher power is great aswell believe in what your saying

Great suggestions in this thread
Old 10-28-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My higher power doesn't need any belief in it, because I look at him in the mirror every morning, it's me!!

When I quit drinking I wanted to do it for me, I knew I could be a better person, a better employee, a better son, a better brother than where alcohol was leading me, I wasn't living up to my potential, I was simply coasting, auto pilot, doing the minimum, letting my dreams, my ambitions, my goals, simply pass me by.

I made a decision that I want to look back on my life and be proud of what I've created, knowing alcohol didn't take it away from me!!

Surely that's something to believe in??!!