Notices

How long does it take the process of recovery?

Old 10-23-2015, 02:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long does it take the process of recovery?

I know that alcoholism is a lifetime disease. There is no cure. What i want to say by saying there is no cure is that an alcoholic is always an alcoholic. May be he or she is a passive alcoholic. Anyone who has bacame an alcoholic will never be a social drinker.

I am wondering how long the process of recovery takes? 6 months or a year?
Old 10-23-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi liveitfull

I think it's different for everyone. For my 'recovery' is bound up with a programme of self-improvement - always trying to be the best I can be - so, for me, the process is ongoing.

I definitely felt different by 90 days tho...I began to see it was possible never to drink again.

I had been an all day everyday drinker for many years though so it was probably most of a year before I decided I liked sober me and I preferred not drinking, and a little longer than that for me not to instinctively think of drinking when I was troubled by things.

Is that kind of where your question is leading?

D
Old 10-23-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 10-23-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It was suggested to me to keep bringing
the body to my recovery meetings and
the mind will follow. Some lessons take
time to learn and how ever long it takes
for me to be rid of those pesky lifes problems
or be accepting of them, I will continue to
be willing, openminded to the messages
of hope to sink in and lessons are learned to
remain happy, joyous and free in recovery.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe that recovery becomes a way of life. For me, it is. I'm still working on myself and I hope I always will.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think getting out of the mindset of "disease" is the first start. You are not riddled with any thing that other people are not capable of doing or obtaining. If the person drinks too much they simply become dependent, both physically and emotionally- hence alcoholism! YOu must want to quit for sure!

So how did we get here. I firmly believe, we were absent many many tools to handle many of life's problems and the more normal "process" tools to over come them in a healthy way. We found a way to push many aside all whilst finding something that made us feel good until it wasn't fun any more and we got trapped and all the hell the came with it!

You have to simply re-learn, yes "re learn" how to live without the crutch and handle things like a healthy adult. In time, all the drinking obsession and the damages associated DO LIFT and you will some day joyfully join the ranks of a more normalized life. Do be diligent in self improvement and never turn back to drinking for it will ALL come back in a jiff! It took me a year to learn this. And also, a person time without drinking makes no one more sober than the other! Dont count days, just get on with it!
Old 10-23-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am able to start relaxing after 90 days. I know I will have more bad days, but in general I have a lot less anxiety. The depression seems to be going away, but it's harder to tell. Your moods swing. It helps to know that your brain's readjustment to not getting alcohol creates a lot of these feelings.

My cravings have not gone away but they're manageable.