Notices

Good gracious!

Old 10-18-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good gracious!

Hello all,
Back to try this again. I think I've hit my figurative "Rock Bottom". I have been drunk (or recovering) for three days now. I am not wasted, just drinking enough to feel normal from overdoing it last night. I did this same thing last weekend. There was a special occasion on Saturday night so that was my "excuse". It took until Wednesday to feel human again and I swore I wouldn't drink again. That lasted until Friday night. I think I'm doing this wrong. I'm trying to "recover" in secret just like I drink in secret. No one knows I've been binging. I did tell my husband I'm quitting for a month "for a cleanse", but I need it to be permanent. The thing is, I don't like drinking anymore. I cannot fathom why I continue to do something that brings me zero fulfillment. This has clearly been a problem since my teenage years, but up until a few years ago everything could be "excused" as regular partying. Not anymore. I can no longer say "but I'm only 20 something", I'm too young to quit forever" I have passed the 30 mark. I make deadlines, elaborate plans, vows, and it all just falls through the cracks. I WISH I had done something years ago when it first became apparent that it was a problem. But I didn't. Now, I'm done being ashamed, this is who I am and something I have to deal with. Tomorrow is going to be rough. I know cause I just did this LAST WEEK!! Hopefully this will be the last time. I've looked up AA meetings in the area (and will be attending), and have a therapy hotline number stored in my phone (and will be calling). Not sure what I'm looking for from posting... Just need someone like-minded to talk to I guess. Thanks for listening, I really have no one else to talk to about this, though I'm close to screaming it from the rooftops!
Old 10-18-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. This place is amazing and you'll find so much support here.

I'm a recovering wino and on day 12. Sobriety is amazing. I hope you find your path to freedom. Keep posting.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can make this time be your time PinotNOmore

Do follow that AA idea through - and feel free to ask for any other suggestions about a good recovery plan, and changes you could make

Welcome back

D
Old 10-18-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It's good to hear from you again, PinotNOmore.

My wife and I did ninety AA meetings in ninety days when we quit drinking three years ago. It worked because we worked at it! I hope you find good meetings and a sponsor soon.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Pinot. Your plans to seek help sound good, and SR is always here if you need it
Old 10-18-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
It's good to hear from you again, PinotNOmore.

My wife and I did ninety AA meetings in ninety days when we quit drinking three years ago. It worked because we worked at it! I hope you find good meetings and a sponsor soon.
I would LOVE to do this, but I'm having a hard time finding just one meeting that works with the daycare schedule I have my kids on... lots of night meetings, and that's just not possible with my husband working late. No excuses though! I'll figure something out! :-)
Old 10-18-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome back Pinot. Your plans to seek help sound good, and SR is always here if you need it
Thanks Scott! Thinking I'll stick around a little longer this time... ;-)
Old 10-18-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fellow wino here 14 days sober and feel like a new human.. You can do it if you really want to
Old 10-18-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

NOmore,

You can totally do this! You'll feel better, look better, and even be a better mom sober. Aa helped me a lot. Meetings were hard for me, I'm a bit introverted and I felt a bit awkward and sucked it up.

Whether you do aa or another program, one big factor in success is WILLINGNESS. Willingness to step out of your comfort zone. Willingness to do whatever it takes to stay sober, to take drinking off the table, even if it means telling some people close to you. Willingness to face your fears. You can do it.

For me, the aa steps were the most magical, scary, liberating pain in the ass. The magic started to happen after step 5, and my obsession to drink went away. Yeah I had to finish the things, and yeah I have to take a little time to live them, but it's super worth it.

Whatever method you choose, if you go all in and live it, you can learn freedom and gain a new you. You deserve a happy life!
Old 10-18-2015, 11:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

I remember asking the mods Dee74, Anna, Opivotal, ScottfromWI, Least, Hevyn, Astro, Impurrfect for advice not to mention the countless ppl here at SR

This site is fantastic
Old 10-19-2015, 01:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
Thanks Scott! Thinking I'll stick around a little longer this time... ;-)
Please do, PinotNO! I was worried about your bender. You really have a lot of good stuff going for you, especially if you can kick the booze to the curb. I was a big wino too, so I know it's hard. But it's worth it.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back PinotNOmore!! You can do this!!
Old 10-19-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome back, PNM!

I can no longer say "but I'm only 20 something", I'm too young to quit forever"
Oh, Lordy, how I wish I would have quit forever when I was 20-something.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
quat

Hey PinotNo more! Welcome back! Hope youre feeling better soon. I hope youre ready to be 'all in' too, you can Do this!!
Old 10-19-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you're back. You're one of the ones I always wonder/worry about when you're gone.

I understand everything you wrote as that was me 14 months ago. Drinking & "recovery" were always a secret for me. The thought of quitting forever was just not an option. "I just need to abstain for a bit & then I'll be better & able to drink normally again for the rest of my life." Sound familiar? The only piece of the puzzle I couldn't make fit was the abstention. I could do 12 hours to 1 day most times. An entire weekend was a miracle from God. My whole "life" (as it were) revolved around my drinking schedule. It was a miserable existence.

Thankfully I hit the stage where each drink just about made me gag. I hated drinking & moreover I hated myself. I was ready to admit defeat & give recovery an honest shot. Once I made the decision to bring everything into the light I never looked back.

You're worthy of this, Pinot, & so is your family!! We're here every step of the way but you gotta do the work. Have you checked out the Oct. class or the 24 Hour thread? I know both would be thrilled to have you.

Take good care & stick around. We need you as much as you need us.

Hugs & love!
Old 10-19-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeartsAfire View Post
I'm so glad you're back. You're one of the ones I always wonder/worry about when you're gone.

I understand everything you wrote as that was me 14 months ago. Drinking & "recovery" were always a secret for me. The thought of quitting forever was just not an option. "I just need to abstain for a bit & then I'll be better & able to drink normally again for the rest of my life." Sound familiar? The only piece of the puzzle I couldn't make fit was the abstention. I could do 12 hours to 1 day most times. An entire weekend was a miracle from God. My whole "life" (as it were) revolved around my drinking schedule. It was a miserable existence.

Thankfully I hit the stage where each drink just about made me gag. I hated drinking & moreover I hated myself. I was ready to admit defeat & give recovery an honest shot. Once I made the decision to bring everything into the light I never looked back.

You're worthy of this, Pinot, & so is your family!! We're here every step of the way but you gotta do the work. Have you checked out the Oct. class or the 24 Hour thread? I know both would be thrilled to have you.

Take good care & stick around. We need you as much as you need us.

Hugs & love!
SO SO TRUE! All of it! Thank you all for your kind words! Feeling pretty darn miserable, as to be expected. Just trying to keep fluids in me and finally was able to stomach some food. I hope to God I never have to feel like this again!
Old 10-19-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I hope to God I never have to feel like this again!
You never do...from here forward it's 100% your choice as to whether you feel this way again or not. Have you thought of what you might try differently this time to make sure?
Old 10-19-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome back Pinot. Stick closer to SR this time. I found it really helped me early on that I could come here 24/7. Lean on us when you feel weak or your AV starts chiming in.

Glad you haven't given up on this battle. You have the power to re-define your life without alcohol.

One day at a time.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi PNM. I'm loving this site. It's really helping me. 16 days sober after over 20 years of being lost in the haze. Stick around.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

one of the best aa speakers i heard was a woman 42 years old and had just celebrated 28 years sober.
when ya get to meetings, be careful if there a bunch of old farts there and ya feel out of place. many of them old farts were young farts when they got sober.

theres meetings that allow youngens to be brought along.

meetings are great, but the root for recovery is the program as outlined in the big book. iffen ya google "big book online" you can read it online until you get a copy for yourself.

you dont have to feel like this again.
working the program and practicing the prinicples of it in my everyday life have given me a life free of gloom,dispair, and agony.