Notices

Insomnia

Old 09-06-2004, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia

When I don't drink, I can't sleep. I've had tried ambien (prescription) med and that works okay - but on the "approved" meds sheet I got when I left rehab, ambien was nixed. Since I've been back from rehab, I've tried OTC sleeping pills as well as herbal tea. Truth be told, I'm tired of taking pills. I've tried all of the traditional things - don't watch tv/read in bed, white noise, my bed is comfortable and I have the right kind of pillow, wind down time, consistent bedtime.....

I just want to sleep! How do others deal with insomnia?
Old 09-06-2004, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

a member just happened to post a great post on the topic of insomnia...
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=37680

That oughtta help a bit.

With my drinking, I didn't sleep much for a month or so. But then, I had used alcohol to pass out.... that was my goal.

I had to prepare things to do during the time I was awake. I had to white knuckle it out. :sour: The book "Living Sober" from AA helped.

I'm hoping that post will help you.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Hi, I've pretty much had problems with insomnia most of my life and until recently, I didn't know why. I have realized I am bipolar and looking back...I was in a manic state when I was up for days at a time.

With you, it seems to be alcohol withdrawl related, which as Moot said should pass in about a month or so. Even when drinking excessively, my A had trouble sleeping...and no rum meant he was up for days and irritable. He would read and read and read some more. Then he would take Tylonal P.M. and then read some more. I always had to be very cautious if I was up and awake doing things because he could be just about to fall asleep and the slightest movement or noise would ruin it and he would be awake and reading for several more hours again. It was hard being on egg shells like that around him.

For me, lately my doc prescribed Vistaril for anxiety, which also helps me sleep at bed time (well the depression also makes me sleep a lot, but I've been cycling from manic to depressed and well - I never know. I had been depressed for several days and took my Vistaril last night so I could fall asleep at a somewhat reasonable time and....wouldn't you know it...I hit a manic state and finally had energy to get things done. The first thing bothering me was all the toys scattered from the twins in my sisters living room so I got right to work, also cleaning the kitchen. The wonderful energy lasted for about 30 minutes before the Vistaril kicked in and sent me off to bed )

Anyway, I often try relaxation techniques and tapes. I am good at visualizations and the self-hypnosis thing really works to relax me. Some times I have to play the tape a few times, but it usually works.

This is one I use a lot when my thoughts are racing or I can't sleep. I start counting backwards, slowly, from 10 down to one. Not outloud, just counting in my head. I repeat the sequence over and over, and each time I visualize drawing the numbers in my mind. I see the 1 from ten being drawn and then the zero. Then that disappears and I draw out a nine, and so on. Depending on the speed I started at...I count slower and slower and slower each time. The process helps shut my mind down sometimes.

In college, a friend use to hypnotize me (for fun - it was the only time in my life that I have have been the center of attention and wasn't self-conscience. And everyone would always beg him to put me under again. It was pretty fun I might add.) But the relaxation technique I described above is one that he would use at the beginning to put me under. After the first time I went under, all he had to do was start counting from 10 slowly and I would get sleepy. Later it dawned on me to use it when I actually WANTED to go to sleep.

Good luck finding the Sandman :sleeping: