Checking in

Old 10-11-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

Haven't been able to go to an al anon meeting for a week or so. I went to Montana for work and had an incredible time. It makes me realize I am a lot happier when I get out of LA. I needed a break and extended my stay by two days. I just got home today.

My addict ex bf has been reaching out to me. Saying things like "you left me when I needed you most." "You abandoned me, etc." It's hard to not let the manipulation get the best of me. I've been going to al anon for seven months and try to work a strong program, but it still pulls on my heart strings when he says **** like this. It guilt trips me and sometimes leaves me thinking "maybe I could have done more." But, I know--that after four relapses in one year, staying by his side, rehabs, binges, and more--that I've done the best thing FOR ME. For now.

Just touching base, hope everyone is doing alright and has had a nice weekend!
Old 10-11-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know how you feel about getting out of L.A.! Don't get me wrong, I'm a Cali-girl by blood and soul, but I think I'm about done with my state already. There's nothing like a whole different world to revive your soul, especially someplace like Montana...seems wild and free, lol

My ex-husband (who is an alcoholic/addict) used to always try to guilt me whenever I left him...he would say things just like your addict ex is saying to you. My fiancé is an addict who is currently getting help in a rehab and has NEVER blamed me or tried to guilt me, even when he relapsed. Is your ex getting any help or is he still using? You already KNOW in your soul that you are NOT a cause to his problems and you did nothing wrong. Be true to yourself. Don't let him bring you down. We're hard enough on ourselves without someone pushing their crap on us too, you know? Keep going back to the AlAnon meetings and just let yourself be free of any drama for a bit. You deserve it. I know it's hard sometimes, I know that so well. Wish I could hug each and every person struggling right now. I'm having a rough weekend myself, but I'm pulling through because it's the only thing I can do. Can't lay down and freak out when you have kids, lol

It's good to hear that you were able to have a great time in Montana. You missed the 105 degree heat we're having here, lol...although it's still pretty gross today. Hopefully the weather out there was more autumn-y!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wonderful news on releasing guilt, HPL! That was a major hurdle for me...didn't know if I would ever find a way to do so, but kept praying about it and finally, one day I could feel a greater sense of peace when the guilt was gone. Take care and glad you checked in.