An Early Return

Old 09-05-2004, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An Early Return

I'm feeling a little more relaxed tonight. I actually have a little bit of my appetite back, which had disappeared completely-NOT a common occurrence for me!! I got a surprise call from my husband tonight asking me to come and pick him up from detox. They discharged him after only 2 days with an outpatient schedule at the sliding scale place. Of course we have no money and no insurance so the minute the alcohol was out so is he! I was terrified and not at all ready to pick him up. I didn't know what he would be like after only 2 days and I wasn't ready for him to be back home.
Tonight was also my first al-anon meeting-perfect timing. As a nice coincidence they had an AA meeting at the same place. My husband went to that meeting and I went to mine. When I came up from my meeting I was surprised to find my husband talking to people and making plans for more meetings. He introduced me to a couple of men. This is a big deal because my husband is extremely introverted and has always hated the idea of AA. We left the meeting and he went with me to pick up the kids from my parents. I gave him the option not to go with me if he wasn't ready to see my parents. He went anyway and my mom gave him a hug and told him that they loved him.
Now we're at home and he is talking to me about his experiences. He is going through his meeting book and highlighting a meeting for every day. I never thought I'd even see that.
I do know enough that I'm just thankful for today. I'll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. I know that the chances of him never drinking again are not great. I'm just happy to see that at least now he is forming a plan-something he's never done before. He's forming a network of support that's separate from me. Tonight at my first Al-Anon meeting I began to form a network separate from him. I shared my situation and everyone was supportive and helpful. They gave me some concrete ideas regarding my current financial mess and helped me feel not so alone. I'm definitely going back next week.
Whatever happens after this, at least we have more resources than we ever did before AND most importantly I will not be responsible for his future choices. There are no secrets anymore and I'm going to try and make sure that I don't cover again.
Thank God for at least a few hours of hope.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So glad for you. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Congratulations on today.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yea anniecake - good luck with your recovery and your husband's too!

hugs - cwohio
Old 09-06-2004, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((( Anniecake! )))

Fingers crossed that things keep moving in this direction for you guys!

Hugs,
Smoke
Old 09-06-2004, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anniecake, I'm so happy for you. It's a step in the right direction. My A b/f is also very introverted and will barely speak in public unless it's at his job where he knows everyone. I hope everything goes well for you.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great going to both of you keep up with the program.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Annie,
Glad things are going well. Like others said, keep going. It will help. Hugs, Magic
Old 09-06-2004, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

well Annie, great news. i hope it keeps going this way. there will be bumps...but what a great start. hugs