Notices

Fridays

Old 10-02-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fridays

It’s Friday (YAY!). Friday was always the hardest day for me before I made my plan and commitment to never drink again. One of my biggest tools to quiet the AV is to think about how all those other Fridays played out when I made the decision to drink.

I would be at the office thinking “I’m going to make this a sober weekend for once. I can do this and I will thank myself Monday”. Then, as the day went on, my AV would sneak into my head slowly and by the time I was driving home, I was headed to the liquor store. I failed to recognize that I let my AV take control over the course of the day. So then my thought process would be “I will just get a 750 ml bottle of Vodka and make that last Friday and Saturday. Sunday will be my day to sober up and by Monday nobody will even know”. My AV was good at convincing myself of these kinds of poor logic choices.

So, Friday I would get home and start taking shots. I would start to feel great and sit down on my couch and start watching YouTube videos. One YouTuber I watch posts vlogs that are rather long and I would sit and watch numerous of those as I continued to hit the bottle. Next thing I knew, I was plastered and falling asleep on the couch. So, I would go grab a blanket from my bed and fall asleep (pass out) on the couch to a YouTube video or Pandora.

Then would come Saturday morning where I was usually up around 5 or 6 AM from passing out early the night before. As soon as I stood up, it was off to the bathroom to throw up. I would then go to the fridge to find my vodka (at this point, my AV was fully in the driver’s seat) only to realize 2/3 of the bottle was gone. I would think to myself “This isn’t going to be enough to get me through the entire day! I need to go get more”. So, I would shower and sit in angst waiting for 7 AM to roll around when the liquor store opened. At 6:50, I was out the door to be ready when the doors opened. At this point, Saturday was gone. I would start drinking as soon as I got home, pass out around 1 PM, wake up and probably throw up again, start drinking some more and then pass out on the couch again early.

Then came Sunday – the day all the fun screeched to a halt. I would spend all day Sunday trying to recover, feeling sick and shameful. I wouldn’t be able to sleep Sunday night from all the passing out I did over the weekend and would start Monday tired, looking terrible and not focused. I would tell myself “never again” but then the next weekend would come and I would fail to recognize my AV and it would all start over again.

But not anymore! Now I’m aware of that nasty beast that is my AV and I know how to shut it down. It fights with me a lot on Fridays but now it fails to take the upper hand. Thanks to AVRT, I have been able to recognize the warning signs and stop any kind of thoughts of drinking before they can take control.

With all that said, here’s to a sober weekend full of lots of cooking, reading and relaxing!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep stomping that AV into the asphalt, ZeldaFan. Tell it that you have wised up to its tactics and antics - that it now longer has any power over you!!!!!

Have a great weekend.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Zelda - Your weekends sound just like mine - well, before I finally graduated to every day drinking. I had good intentions so many times - vowed to use willpower to just have a few. Never once did it work. Wish it hadn't taken me so long to get it. Thank you for this helpful post. No fuzzy, foggy, numb weekends for us.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post. I think many of us can relate.

Hope you enjoy your sober weekend, and even moreso, your coming clear headed and refreshed Monday morning.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love this post. Thank you for sharing, ZeldaFan!
Old 10-02-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Zelda, it sounds like you're doing well. Enjoy your weekend.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through Zelda!! Great post!!
Old 10-02-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZeldaFan View Post
It’s Friday (YAY!). Friday was always the hardest day for me before I made my plan and commitment to never drink again. One of my biggest tools to quiet the AV is to think about how all those other Fridays played out when I made the decision to drink.

I would be at the office thinking “I’m going to make this a sober weekend for once. I can do this and I will thank myself Monday”. Then, as the day went on, my AV would sneak into my head slowly and by the time I was driving home, I was headed to the liquor store. I failed to recognize that I let my AV take control over the course of the day. So then my thought process would be “I will just get a 750 ml bottle of Vodka and make that last Friday and Saturday. Sunday will be my day to sober up and by Monday nobody will even know”. My AV was good at convincing myself of these kinds of poor logic choices.

So, Friday I would get home and start taking shots. I would start to feel great and sit down on my couch and start watching YouTube videos. One YouTuber I watch posts vlogs that are rather long and I would sit and watch numerous of those as I continued to hit the bottle. Next thing I knew, I was plastered and falling asleep on the couch. So, I would go grab a blanket from my bed and fall asleep (pass out) on the couch to a YouTube video or Pandora.

Then would come Saturday morning where I was usually up around 5 or 6 AM from passing out early the night before. As soon as I stood up, it was off to the bathroom to throw up. I would then go to the fridge to find my vodka (at this point, my AV was fully in the driver’s seat) only to realize 2/3 of the bottle was gone. I would think to myself “This isn’t going to be enough to get me through the entire day! I need to go get more”. So, I would shower and sit in angst waiting for 7 AM to roll around when the liquor store opened. At 6:50, I was out the door to be ready when the doors opened. At this point, Saturday was gone. I would start drinking as soon as I got home, pass out around 1 PM, wake up and probably throw up again, start drinking some more and then pass out on the couch again early.

Then came Sunday – the day all the fun screeched to a halt. I would spend all day Sunday trying to recover, feeling sick and shameful. I wouldn’t be able to sleep Sunday night from all the passing out I did over the weekend and would start Monday tired, looking terrible and not focused. I would tell myself “never again” but then the next weekend would come and I would fail to recognize my AV and it would all start over again.

But not anymore! Now I’m aware of that nasty beast that is my AV and I know how to shut it down. It fights with me a lot on Fridays but now it fails to take the upper hand. Thanks to AVRT, I have been able to recognize the warning signs and stop any kind of thoughts of drinking before they can take control.

With all that said, here’s to a sober weekend full of lots of cooking, reading and relaxing!
Excellent post! I am so on board with you to take back Friday's.

This is the first time in a long time I have no desire to drink. Let's smash the AV together and have weekends we remember and have no regrets over.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I was pretty much the same ZF, one lost and wasted weekend after another. Like Hevyn I wish I had stopped sooner. Now I actually HAVE a weekend to look forward to and enjoy
Old 10-02-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great Job
Old 10-02-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post Zelda- thanks
Old 10-02-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cheers to the freakin weekend, I won't drink to that..
Old 10-02-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Join us in the chat room in an hour!
Old 10-02-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Zelda, a very vivid and wonderful post. Sadly, I can relate all too well. I was in that vicious cycle to-a-tee for about 3 years. Worst 3 years of my life. Again, thanks for the vivid reminder of how crazy things can get.