Notices

Ughh help

Old 09-30-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ughh help

I need help can't do this on my own anymore. I contacted a woman I know last week who's actively involved in aa. Went to a speaker meeting. But I don't know how to ask for MORE. I'm dying. I've just been drinking my face off since Sunday afternoon. Locked myself in my bedroom with a few bottles of white wine. I can't just go to a meeting or 2. How do I say I NEED a sponsor right now??!! I need something. I'm 29 but I feel about 89 right now. I feel terrible. How do I Take the next step?
I have to do something bc this is not living. Not looking forward to going to work tomorrow looking awful. I want sobriety so badly, but I don't know How to deal with the world.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you reached out for help. It might be a good idea for you to go an ER and to be sent to a detox so you can safely stop drinking. You might also think about inpatient treatment as an option. If you're not sure where to start, call your family dr or go to an ER for help.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd agree with anna - if you are to the point where you physically cannot stop drinking, supervised detox might be just the thing for you. You could certainly get some numbers from the AA meeting and give some folks a call, but it sounds like you might be a bit beyond that at the current point. AA can certainly be a part of your recovery but perhaps a bit more is needed today.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can ask someone to be a temporary sponsor if you want a more definite point of contact.

Are you going for a supervised detox? Or at least medical advice and check over by your doctor as well? AAers can help you with the program and offer support and encouragement, but are not qualified to give medical advice (same as on here).
Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all....the big problem for me right now is that I don't have health insurance- l know, I know- so I can't go to any sort of rehab or detox.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna and Scott. If you cannot physically stop on your own, then consider detox and rehab. I couldn't stop myself. Going to a meeting or two wouldn't have worked for me. That's not knocking AA either because it's now part of my recovery.

Call the woman you called before and tell her what's going on and that you need help. If she's actively involved in AA, she will probably have knowledge of resources. Or check yourself into detox.

I did 16 days inpatient treatment after detox and while I ultimately relapsed after that try, it gave me the tools and knowledge to stop again and stay stopped. I'll have 22 months of sobriety tomorrow. You can do this.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Getting Help | Massachusetts Substance Abuse Helpline

If you are in Massachusetts, you can call here. It appears to be the state run helpline. Take advantage of what your tax dollars are financing.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by thisibelieve View Post
Thank you all....the big problem for me right now is that I don't have health insurance- l know, I know- so I can't go to any sort of rehab or detox.
There free and low-cost/reduced cost detox centers available. Call your local AA chapter or meeting organizer and ask. Or call your local/municipal alcohol & drug resource center.

I would argue that your "big problem" is not that you don't have health insurance, it's that you are binge drinking to the point that it's endangering your health.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thisibelieve View Post
Have you tried googling no cost detox facilities? Or look on your cities webpage, social services/health and welfare? I detoxed in a state funded facility so they do exist. You might need a referral but you can always call and ask.

edited to add....you've already been told this
Old 10-01-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Make sure to get several other AA members' phone numbers. People routinely call each other as often as they want for support.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things now thisibelieve?

D
Old 10-01-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thisiebelieve, once you get sober (and you will, somehow) have you surrendered to the fact that you cannot drink? I struggled with that for a long time, but once I knew I could not live the drinkers lifestyle, it made things easier.