Notices

Birthday

Old 09-29-2015, 12:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Birthday

Its a milestone birthday for me in a few weeks, Im travelling to stay with an old friend, we recently got back in touch after having lost contact for many years, it was great, we picked up where we left off.l, but Im a bit anxious tho, the stupid AV said I could allow myself to drink that weekend.... my brain says dont do it, I certaintly dont want to, but I am anxious about going, worried that we may have nothing to talk about, or that there will be a sense of awkwardness as my anxiety comes into play, im worried I wont be that confident, crazy fun loving chick I used to be, hell Im worried Im going to be boring! I am sooo looking forward to the trip and excited, but nervous too. Help!
Old 09-29-2015, 01:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Friend isnt much of a drinker and knows whats going on with me btw and has been hugely supportive x
Old 09-29-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Unless this is a drinking buddy, I'm sure you'll have loads of stuff to talk about and similar interests and ideas.

Old friends understand and support friends in a time of need, or change. Ignore that stupid AV.

Does your friend know about the changes in your life?

D
Old 09-29-2015, 01:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Be yourself and don't be afraid to let your guard down if the friend is open minded. have fun and just breathe. sounds like fun tho.

Dru -
Old 09-29-2015, 01:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I worried about that too. But actually I think drunk people are boring.

You're not boring. I've been to a few get-togethers with old friends since being sober, and I was the life and soul. I could also drive myself home, which I loved!

Kick the AVs ass
Old 09-29-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Previously you posted about being so proud of yourself for being sober and getting your liver counts back to normal, don't you want to hold onto that?
It is a great advantage that your friend knows what is going on with you. Run with it. If they are a good friend and it sounds like they are, you won't have to worry about being "on".
Old 09-29-2015, 01:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stay strong in your sobriety but have fun, BB!
Old 09-29-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Previously you posted about being so proud of yourself for being sober and getting your liver counts back to normal, don't you want to hold onto that?
It is a great advantage that your friend knows what is going on with you. Run with it. If they are a good friend and it sounds like they are, you won't have to worry about being "on".
God yes!!! I so want to hold onto that, relapse scares me. Im just worried I wont be able to enjoy it x
Old 09-29-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you x It means a lot that people understand, friend is amazing he has lots of things planned for us (me and my husband) its just evenings, going out etc, ive asked him if he knows anywhere that has live music, the thought of sitting in a pub with everyone drinking isnt filling me with complete joy, however if theres a band on that would be cool, id cope better. Thankfully him and husband arent heavy drinkers - i dont mind them drinking and being the designated driver, but not sure I could handle it being in a environment where everyone around me is getting wasted. Live band would be cool id really enjoy that and it would serve as a distraction.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

blueberry my trick is to get a large non-A drink in my hand early as possible. For some reason it stops me wanting to drink A, which makes me think a lot of it was social conditioning.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Avoid the bar if there is no band or a show, otherwise probably trouble. Nobody wants to sit and watch other people drink especially on their birthday. How about a movie or something? And a great meal?
Old 09-29-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ive not been out socially since I stopped drinking... this could well be the first time that I do... maybe I should have a dummy run first ha ha!
Old 09-29-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thats a good idea, I did that yesterday. Went to a movie by myself , was a lil anxious but it felt good to get out around other people lol. Saw Jurrasic World...
Old 09-29-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Avoid the bar if there is no band or a show, otherwise probably trouble. Nobody wants to sit and watch other people drink especially on their birthday. How about a movie or something? And a great meal?
Yeah im thinking that tbh... we dont HAVE to go to a pub right? I'll be designated driver - never had a prob with being that before I got sober actually. Been to a few places sober and really enjoyed it.... difference was tho upon returning home Id down a bottle of wine before bed!
Old 09-29-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ok well I have a personal take on birthdays, I really love them for me and everyone... It's your birthday, designated driver and a pub?
No way! They drive you to... wherever you want. Just have a nice meal, a decadent dessert... it's a milestone, it doesn't have to be a wild night- just an enjoyable one- you'll remember it so that's good right?
Old 09-29-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ok well I have a personal take on birthdays, I really love them for me and everyone... It's your birthday, designated driver and a pub?
No way! They drive you to... wherever you want. Just have a nice meal, a decadent dessert... it's a milestone, it doesn't have to be a wild night- just an enjoyable one- you'll remember it so that's good right?
Yes!! Your right! Just if I make myself designated driver I wont be tempted to drink!
Old 09-29-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You'll be fine Blueberry, you don't need alcohol to be fun and interesting, and if people don't like who you are then that's their problem.

Remember to enjoy yourself, and don't stress over it too much!!