Notices

A moment of "normal"?

Old 09-26-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A moment of "normal"?

For the first time last night, I was sitting on my porch at about 8pm and just enjoying the fall weather, thoughts about really nothing, just thinking about whatever.

Then it dawned on me.....I hadn't noticed my drinking time. Everyday since I've been sober, I know when its 4pm, 5pm, 6pm and so on. I've been hyper aware of it because thats when I started drinking so I make sure I'm busy doing something, anything.

But, last night, though I knew what time it was all day.....not even a thought! 4pm came and went, 5pm.....then at 8pm, I realized!

The first time I've actually lived in years, without worrying about drinking.

Its usually always on my mind whether drinking or not....

When drinking....
"Its gotta be late enough in the afternoon for a drink". "Is it 4pm? UGH, well 3pm is okay to start drinking, ", "OMG, it's 6pm and I haven't had a glass of wine! Better go get one" (that one just struck me as the stupidest thought ever).

Not drinking anymore...
"Uh oh, its getting late in the afternoon, get busy doing something or you'll drink". "Its 6pm and I didn't drink!" "8pm, wow its so weird to be sober this late".

But last night - I'd say a good 5 hours without ANY thought of alcohol, sobriety , drinking or not drinking. Just living my life.....LIVING! Going about my business without all the residual crap from my drinking years and obsessing about alcohol one way or the other.

I guess that's what the "normal people" feel like all day, everyday. Who knew!?!?!?!?!?!

I have to say, I'm proud of me....1st time in many years I can say that. I want nothing to do with alcohol again. The last 10 years almost killed me. Mentally and emotionally it had me down for the count. The physical was on it's way.

Thank God for SR, thank God for whatever divine intervention happened on Aug 10th that made me just wake up that day and decide enough was enough and begin my sober journey.

Love to you all
Old 09-26-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very cool, In the End, very cool.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yay!
I had one entire day I didn't think about it, I didn't realize until the next day, it was such a relief, because I know it'll eventually feel like that all the time.
Plus the mental break was nice
Nice post!
Old 09-26-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thats amazing. I want that feeling back!!
Old 09-26-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice
Old 09-26-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
Yay!
I had one entire day I didn't think about it, I didn't realize until the next day, it was such a relief, because I know it'll eventually feel like that all the time.
Plus the mental break was nice
Nice post!
A whole day! What a treat! The mental break was very nice.

Yes, I believe that this was a glimpse into what the future will bring if I remain sober and it solidified my choice. I am looking forward to being sober, instead of looking back to what I'm missing out on (though I have to look waaaaaaaay back to find anything that was worth missing). Funny how I can still find those very few "good times" from 10-30 years ago.

I guess in some odd way I should be thankful for the last awful 10 years, especially the last 3.....it got me to this point. Had it not been that bad, I'd still be drinking.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post. Your comment about living life is so true. That's what normal people do, they live life. and I'll be darned if it isn't pretty good at times. When actively drinking it seems like we are in a constant cycle of buzzed and recovery and then obsessing over the next cycle. Pitiful actually. Good job and enjoy your day.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

That moment when you realise is priceless
Good for you InTheEnd

D
Old 09-26-2015, 11:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had that moment last weekend after I woke up bloodied up and had no idea how it happened after binge drinking til blackout. That was my kick in the arse to get clean. 8 days sober now, and your story sounds exactly like my weekend so far.. Congrats and I respect your strength.

Dru -
Old 09-27-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Its a relief not to always have drinking on your mind. It's something I treasure; the peace of mind.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

CONGRATULATIONS! I remember quite well when I had my first similar moment. It was liberating.

Originally Posted by InTheEnd View Post
Its usually always on my mind whether drinking or not....
That is a form of slavery. That obsession robs you of your freedom.

Sadly, I never knew I was a slave until I was free.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's great.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Isn't it awesome to realize you are finally free and no longer confined by the chains of alcoholism? Great share! Thank you!
Old 09-27-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thx everyone!
Old 09-27-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rar

But last night - I'd say a good 5 hours without ANY thought of alcohol, sobriety , drinking or not drinking. Just living my life.....LIVING! Going about my business without all the residual crap from my drinking years and obsessing about alcohol one way or the other.

I guess that's what the "normal people" feel like all day, everyday. Who knew!?!?!?!?!?!

It seems as if I am constantly thinking about NOT drinking. I keep repeating, "I'm not a drinker. I don't drink, etc." Just today I was talking with my friend who has 25+ years of sobriety. I asked her if the thought of drinking or not drinking ever goes away. She chuckled and said, "Of course it does". I'm glad you posted this. I look forward to having a day with normal person thoughts.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ah. What a great feeling. And what a great insight on your part: that this is the way your future can feel. So happy for you, IntheEnd. Keep it going.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Nice one. It's a good feeling.
Someone in my AA group brought this up at a meeting last week. I remember after about month 3/4 of sobriety, I wasn't thinking about drink. The way my mind pre-planned a binge seemed to be much less. It's as if the obsession was removed.
I know fine well this could return at any time.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I love these stories!
That's why I call it freedom.