Are Anabolic Steroids considered a relapse?

Old 09-21-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are Anabolic Steroids considered a relapse?

So I looked at my husband's search history on his phone and he Googled things like...does Winstrol show up on drug panel, and Does Winstrol give a false positive in drug test, and is Winstrol detected in urine...etc...
Winstrol is a steroid used to build muscle and lose fat. I don't know if he is using Winstrol or not but it seems as though he may be planning on using it. I'm not sure how to process this...is it considered a relapse? I know he had previous issues with his liver. He had Hep C and went through interferon treatment and is clear now. We all know steroids if used improperly can damage your liver. I don't know what to think? Why is he considering this? He finishes his 90 outpatient program at the end of this month. I'm confused
Old 09-21-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had some experience with people on steroids when I was in the military. Guys take them for better PT test scores or to get through jump school and air assault. You can always tell. The mood swings are insane. The behavior can be downright dangerous.
This sounds like a good time to think about what your boundaries are in this situation. This could truly put your safety at risk. His liver is his to take care of. I would NOT want to live in the same house as an addict who started taking steroids.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Relapse or not, it's a bad idea...
Old 09-21-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

An A going through out-patient which is not complete yet and is searching the internet regarding what drugs show up on testing is not someone fully committed to their recovery in my opinion.

A’s are known to switch their DOC and steroids like any other drugs addicts take can be just as addicting.

My own experience with my ex was he turned to steroids and selling it as he needed them for his health. He claimed they were not like other drugs he was addicted to and that he could use them responsibly….lol Kind of like the alcoholic saying he can just drink beer but will not drink the hard liquor.

An addict is an addict is an addict………it’s not the substances it’s the addictive personality and lack of true commitment to staying clean/sober.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He has used steroids before in the past and I never let it bother me, but I was super naive to what recovery is and should be...It will upset me if he decides to start this up again because it just shows he isn't comfortable in his own skin and is looking for an outside fix...do you agree?
Old 09-21-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I absolutely agree. Addicts will look for something else to replace their fix with, it's what they do. Not even necessarily in a sneaky way, it is just how their mind works.

Hugs to you.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mamaof3boyz View Post
He has used steroids before in the past and I never let it bother me, but I was super naive to what recovery is and should be...It will upset me if he decides to start this up again because it just shows he isn't comfortable in his own skin and is looking for an outside fix...do you agree?
It doesn't matter if other people agree. What matters is whether you want to continue living with and exposing your sons to this behavior. Bottom line, your husband doesn't seem too invested in his recovery, or he would be the one agonizing about whether using steroids constitutes a relapse.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

what were you looking for when you went thru his phone?
Old 09-21-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OK well here it goes...I installed an app on his phone so I'm able to check his whereabouts and any activity on his phone from text messages to browser history. I did this because I felt like I needed to be one step ahead of him...I needed to know if he was texting his dealer, driving into the ghetto for drugs etc... When I found out he relapsed the first time I had absolutely NO clue he was using. I knew something was a little off but again, no clue. Because I didn't know about his relapse he was picking the boys up from school everyday. The thought of him driving my little boys while under the influence made me sick to my stomach. I felt so stupid! How did I not know he was using? His parents had me convinced it was just a "slip" and not a relapse and he is working a good program. So I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and gave him a second chance. Well it happened again....relapsed 8 weeks later. Since then, he is not allowed to drive my boys anywhere. I installed the spy app on his phone so I can protect my boys and be aware if he is up to his habits again. You can be brutally honest with me...I can take it :-)
Old 09-22-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Always remember – what you see and hear is what you see and hear. Building a mound of evidence, needing proof is just a delay in denial.

What’s your plan moving forward for when/if he does use again? What is your bottom line? When all the evidence shows you what your eyes see and ears hear, then what?
Old 09-22-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Always remember – what you see and hear is what you see and hear. Building a mound of evidence, needing proof is just a delay in denial.

What’s your plan moving forward for when/if he does use again? What is your bottom line? When all the evidence shows you what your eyes see and ears hear, then what?
My definite plan is if he uses again. I will ask him to leave our home. If he doesn't I will get authorities involved.

I'm still working out things in my head such as....if he loses his job, if he stops going to meetings, if he starts using steroids...If his priorities are not first and foremost his recovery and his family. I'm hoping to get some clarity on what is real and what is my own perceptions.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Does your physically, emotional and financial wellbeing depend on …..If he loses his job…..if he stops going to meetings, if he……etc. etc. etc.

I’m a firm believer in plan for the worst but hope for the best. It never really works out the other way around where we hope for the best but plan for the worst because that planning part never really seems to pan out.

Let’s say the worst happens and you kick him out and he actually goes (most will not) are you prepared to handle all the financial responsibilities of your home all alone on your own?

And what if he doesn’t leave? Do you have family close by or financial funds available to rent your own place?

These are all very real issues that need some planning ahead of time when you are married to an A and one that is a relapse.

What about face to face support for you? Have you thought about al-anon or a program similar that offers you support?

Loving and living with an A is filled with so many “living on the edge” kind of things that most people would not understand. That’s why support for you is crucial.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Does your physically, emotional and financial wellbeing depend on …..If he loses his job…..if he stops going to meetings, if he……etc. etc. etc.

I’m a firm believer in plan for the worst but hope for the best. It never really works out the other way around where we hope for the best but plan for the worst because that planning part never really seems to pan out.

Let’s say the worst happens and you kick him out and he actually goes (most will not) are you prepared to handle all the financial responsibilities of your home all alone on your own?

And what if he doesn’t leave? Do you have family close by or financial funds available to rent your own place?

These are all very real issues that need some planning ahead of time when you are married to an A and one that is a relapse.

What about face to face support for you? Have you thought about al-anon or a program similar that offers you support?

Loving and living with an A is filled with so many “living on the edge” kind of things that most people would not understand. That’s why support for you is crucial.
I would say.... yes my overall well being is dependent on his actions. Thankfully and gratefully I'm able to support myself and my boys. With a few cut backs I can manage. It would be difficult without his extra income but I can certainly do it.

I do have a nest egg in case I need to leave my home.

I see a therapist every Wednesday. I have not been to any alanon meetings only because I don't want to be away from my kids more than i have to .
Old 09-22-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I could never live in the same house with someone I didn't and couldn't trust, especially with children involved. There's no way I could ever encourage anyone to do that either.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Not sure how steroids affect other drug and alcohol test results since they involve hormones. But use of steroids is a problem in itself and in some respects more addicting because it does physically mess with one's hormone levels & balance.

Steroids fool or trick the body's own hormone sensors after a certain point Just ONE steroid can fool the body into thinking it's producing enough hormones with an s. The body produces several hormones but just one steroid will trick the body into thinking it's producing all of them. Then to counter the effects of low hormones while taking steroids the abuser increases their usage.

Steroids can cause or exacerbate anger issues. They can cause mood swings and give the abuser a sense of invincibility since the steroids will help the body recover faster. Dealing with an alky here on steroids and I'm thoroughly convinced at this point the steroid use has offset or delayed the effects of prolonged and excessive alcohol use. Also does miscellaneous recreational drugs.

Also keep in mind if someone is dealing in steroids it's probably not that big of leap to deal in other banned substances.

STAY SAFE GOOD LUCK
Old 05-04-2019, 10:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ladyscribbler View Post
I had some experience with people on steroids when I was in the military. Guys take them for better PT test scores or to get through jump school and air assault. You can always tell. The mood swings are insane. The behavior can be downright dangerous.
This sounds like a good time to think about what your boundaries are in this situation. This could truly put your safety at risk. His liver is his to take care of. I would NOT want to live in the same house as an addict who started taking steroids.
I can say only same thing what ladyscribbler wrote, very good answer!
Old 05-09-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dangerous stuff. Some stimulant addicts use it to feed their addiction. Whether it's a relapse depends on the context, I think.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CallingYouOut View Post
Dangerous stuff. Some stimulant addicts use it to feed their addiction. Whether it's a relapse depends on the context, I think.
That's the thing it very easily be considered a stimulant because the addict is using a substance for an end in many cases 'feeling better,more energetic, stronger etc'.