Notices

The official 'i didn't relapse' thread!!!!!

Old 09-17-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The official 'i didn't relapse' thread!!!!!

This is the thread for celebrating and expressing Gratitude for a day in which we did NOT relapse.

Today, I woke up at 5:45 am, made some coffee, read for a while, made my daughters' lunch, chatted with my fiancee, watched my future stepson head off to high school, brought my kids to school and headed off to work - all with a clear head, a smile, and a feeling of lightness and joy in my heart.

Today - I've been at work getting stuff done.

Today - I'm picking up my daughters from school and then we'll get dinner and go out to a small gathering of friends sharing poetry and song in an alcohol-free environment....

Then I'll go to bed thinking to myself 'Today - I did NOT relapse, and I'm grateful for it.'

Here's to NOT relapsing....

Old 09-17-2015, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here Here!

To feeling alive and fresh in the morning.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a wonderful day, FreeOwl, and you were able to experience with 20/20 vision and a sober mind and heart.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ADDITIONAL NOTE!!!!

To those who may be reading this and fresh from a relapse or here for the first time.... those who are struggling today or recently or still...

PLEASE KEEP READING.

Because these celebrations can be yours, as well. Perhaps you can think back to a day you DID NOT relapse, and call it forth here, to help you out of the dismay of a relapse.

Perhaps you've never really made an attempt at sobriety and this is your first time in the forum.... READ ON, and know that these celebrations come from people who have all been right where you are, and who want YOU to succeed as well.

Maybe there are those who would at first find these words discouraging or unsettling.... maybe for some, the notion of a day of NOT relapsing seems almost unattainable.

Know that you are not alone, and that here in this thread you will find expressions of proof; YOU DO NOT HAVE TO KEEP SUFFERING.....

and no matter how many times you may have fallen - if you're here, there is hope and there is promise.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I actually had breakfast with my kids before work... that never happens because I ALWAYS drank the night before, sleep to the last second, and then rush to work...

its a different life. its almost like its not really mine- Im living someone elses life.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My bf brought home beers for my tonight and I turned them down, am drinking tea!
Old 09-17-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great thread FreeOwl - thanks

D
Old 09-17-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
This is the thread for celebrating and expressing Gratitude for a day in which we did NOT relapse.

Today, I woke up at 5:45 am, made some coffee, read for a while, made my daughters' lunch, chatted with my fiancee, watched my future stepson head off to high school, brought my kids to school and headed off to work - all with a clear head, a smile, and a feeling of lightness and joy in my heart.

Today - I've been at work getting stuff done.

Today - I'm picking up my daughters from school and then we'll get dinner and go out to a small gathering of friends sharing poetry and song in an alcohol-free environment....

Then I'll go to bed thinking to myself 'Today - I did NOT relapse, and I'm grateful for it.'

Here's to NOT relapsing....

What a great thread idea. I have relapsed so many times so I don't judge the folks that do....at all. But it does make me really sad, kind of physically in pain if that makes sense.

I was down today. Passing liquors stores. Would be so easy to drink. But why? What would that do? I'd have a hangover tomorrow and wouldn't be able to do yoga. Yuck.

So I passed those liquor stores, shopped for food. I had a great day. Cleaned, handled some icky financial stuff (results of my last bender), great hot yoga practice. I'm now sitting here pondering whether I will venture out to an unknown meeting...a new thing for me. Its at the Dharma center and its a recovery group I found on Meetups that emphasizes eastern philosophies. To go or not to go? I'm so lazy after about 6pm. We'll see. So all in all, a good day. No relapsing for me!
Old 09-17-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Love it!
Last night, I slept horribly and got in a tiff with my partner who is tired and overworked too.

However...

It is a great day because I am choosing to remain sober.This too shall pass(and a little ice cream won't hurt)
Old 09-17-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lovely news, FreeOwl. Things will continue to get better.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice thread FO
Old 09-17-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

FreeOwl, great idea for a thread! It's so nice to celebrate good news in this way rather than by tricking readers with a title :-)
Old 09-18-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes! I had an irritating couple of days at work and felt lonely and out of sorts earlier this week. Thoughts of drinking increased. Yesterday after the shop closed a co-worker cracked a beer with a friend who dropped in. It smelled sooo stinky!
But I didn't relapse. I dealt with the loneliness by going to AA and posting here. I dealt with the irritability by asking myself what I could change about how I was reacting to things, instead of stewing over other people's actions which I didn't like. I dealt with people swilling beer at my work place by getting the hell out of there and going to the gym.
I didn't relapse and I keep planning how to not relapse every day. And it's awesome. Thanks for this thread!
Old 09-18-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

Bloody hell, alcoholism eh? Hard work in't it? Currently enjoying another day without relapsing. Not long until two years since I drank. Don't give in. Cravings come and like to give the illusion they will never leave but they always do
Old 09-18-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for this positive thread!

No relapse here! Woke up at 445a, worked for a few hours, went running, working for a few more, then gym, dinner and shopping w/my daughter then off to bed!

And I will be thinking the same as you FreeOwl...."Today - I did NOT relapse, and I'm grateful for it."

Have a fabulous day!
Old 09-18-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Woke up at 5:30 and am having coffee while my 10 month old son plays in the living room. I'm a few days away from 300 days sober, with not intention of ever going back to drinking. Not with what I've gained, which is much more than I ever expected.
I've not relapsed. I don't want to give up the things I have because of sobriety, and that keeps me from drinking. Relapse would mean a return to darkness that I've walked away from. Drinking stole so much from my life and killed a lot of potential. Sobriety is giving me back some of these things, slowly and steadily. There's promise and hope. A measure of peace and stillness impossible with drinking. I'll take that instead of relapse.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great post FreeOwl!!