Notices

zero Alcohol drinks

Old 09-08-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

zero Alcohol drinks

Hi all,
Any thoughts, feedback or experience with alcohol free beer and wine?
Had a Friend recommend it. Was thinking of trying it. I did say free not reduced etc.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I thought about trying NA beer before I quit, but it seems like it would just be a disappointing substitute that would send me right back to the real thing. Without the booze, beer doesn't sound that good to me. Might as well drink coffee, tea, juice, soda, water....
Old 09-08-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upwardspiral View Post
I thought about trying NA beer before I quit, but it seems like it would just be a disappointing substitute that would send me right back to the real thing. Without the booze, beer doesn't sound that good to me. Might as well drink coffee, tea, juice, soda, water....
I agree
Old 09-08-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's a very commonly discussed subject here, and the majority seem to avoid low-alcohol or alcohol-free versions of regular alcoholic beverages.

For some it leads to a return to drinking the real thing. It's also worth noting that many "N/A" drinks do still have a very small amount of alcohol in them.

I have tried several NA beers in the past and they all taste horrible compared to the real thing.

I think the most important point to be made is that most of us drank to get drunk...not for the "taste". So why not just drink something that tastes good, rather than something that reminds us of getting drunk?
Old 09-08-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No desire for me....I drank mainly for the buzz.

Article about it....
The Dangers of Non-Alcoholic Beer
Old 09-08-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Not for me.

I only drank to get drunk. Although I convinced myself I liked the taste, the amount of times I would gag on it dispelled that myth.

The taste of NA beer would bring back all the emotions of the real thing for me, so it's easier to just avoid it.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

MrJ, add one more vote for no to NA drinks for me. I drank to get drunk and didn't care what I was drinking to get me there.

Think if I tried NA beer it would just make me want the real thing.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I read where some IV addicts shoot up with saline. It's said they get some relief from their craving.

Doesn't contain heroin...is it okay?

I don't. And that's what NA beer would be for me.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It seems like the little rituals associated with it, and even the labeling of the cans and bottles themselves, would spur temptation. I would avoid it.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've tried it in the past...just led to drinking the real thing.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As Scott said, most N/A beers contain a small amount of alcohol, off the top of my head I believe it is 0.5%. The only true N/A beer available is Cobra which is 0.0%. I personally don't have a problem with them & have had the odd Cobra or 2 when I have been out for dinner... I do actually like the taste, makes a change from sweet drinks.. happy to say it didn't tempt me back to the real thing but hey, we are different.. What might work for me may not work for you... I would tread with caution as I do seem to be in the minority...
Old 09-08-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
Not for me.

I only drank to get drunk. Although I convinced myself I liked the taste, the amount of times I would gag on it dispelled that myth.

The taste of NA beer would bring back all the emotions of the real thing for me, so it's easier to just avoid it.
All of this applies to me too. I never liked the taste of alcohol, I only drank to get drunk. I personally think that recreating the same behaviors you want to quit defeats the purpose. But that's just me...
Old 09-08-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have never tried any of it. For me, it would be romancing the drink...similar to putting an NA drink in a wine glass. Really I drink to get plastered so the taste or enjoying a drink? That concept disappeared years ago. Also the calories. Why bother? I'll have a chocolate chip cookie instead
Old 09-09-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cheers guys, ill have a think. If i had any suspicion it would lead to the real thing then no way!
Old 09-09-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My longest period of sobriety ever was the one and only time I tried NA beer (and I don't normally drink beer). Sure I too drank to get drunk but there was also a Pavlovian habit of me reaching for something alcohol-looking while I was watching TV or whatever.

I might even try it again as I only drink water or alcohol and sometimes I need a break from water.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

My problem was pavlovian too - I was reaching for something that looked felt smelled and tasted like beer....

I hate to say it, Midton, but maybe the long run was you soothing your inner addict, indulging in old behaviours that did eventually inevitably lead you back to drinking?

D