Notices

Round 2

Old 09-03-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Round 2

Hi, just re-introducing myself.

I used to post here in 2011. Managed to stay sober for almost 2 years and then a couple of traumatic events became excuses to slip up.

From then on you probably know the story. First it was "once a month" then "once a week" then "once a day" then "just a couple after work" then "but it's a special occasion" and on and on. Drinking heavily, daily for a while now.

I managed a couple of 2 week hiatuses last year but lately I've got the feeling I'm about to go off the rails in a big way. I really need to dry out and clear my head.

This is just day 3. My shrink asked me, "how are you going to do it this time?" Great question.

But I know that this place was helpful last time so here I am again.

Look forward to talking with you all.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Reset, glad you're here and wanting to be sober. Two years is amazing - so you know it can be done
Old 09-03-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Welcome back Reset ! Seems that Beast just won't let up on us when we run into life's problems . I just joined in July with 2 years Sober . Looking for inspiration , cause I was happy to have made it . Then I found out by being here I had issues that I had stuffed away . SR surely is a special place
Old 09-03-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Reset!
Old 09-03-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back Reset. Congrats on day 3. I think you're doing the right thing in coming back here, especially if you feel you are headed down a dark path.

You know this disease is progressive and will ultimately take everything from us unless we cut it off.

2 years is great. You've got the tools to get back there, you've just got to dust them off and tweak the plan that led you to those sober years.

Welcome back.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Reset

D
Old 09-03-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Reset! Good thing you decided to come back before you go off the rails, as you said. I'm sure you'll get lots of support here again.

Delfin
Old 09-03-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back Reset! I know I have had to push the reset button many times. Looking forward to hearing how you are doing!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome back Reset congrats on day 3
Old 09-04-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR. What are your plans this time? Even though I've gotten 21 months into this journey, I maintain it by coming here daily for support and reminders that I'm not alone. You aren't either.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Welcome back to SR. What are your plans this time? Even though I've gotten 21 months into this journey, I maintain it by coming here daily for support and reminders that I'm not alone. You aren't either.
First of all, thanks everyone for the welcome.

That's great question Ruby. I'm not so sure, honestly. (gonna ramble here for a bit...)

Last time it was a mixture of a lot of different little things but the overarching approach was to keep myself occupied during drinking hours until eventually the urge went away. This site helped a lot, I read a lot about the process of quitting, read some Buddhist philosophy, watched a bunch of movies, and drank green tea like it was about to be made illegal.

Back then I also viewed it as an experiment since it was the first time I'd been without alcohol for an extended period since high school (1986 or so). So from that angle I felt like it was something sort of scientific and that idea appealed to me. I kept a journal recording the physical and mental effects.

This time I know it can be done, which is good. I also know that it's easier to fall back into the pattern though, so that's a bit scarier. I expect to be here a lot, I'll read a lot of philosophy and psychology articles, and I will try to keep myself busy in other ways.

The biggest hurdles I forsee are social events. For example I'm already dreading Thanksgiving. Next weekend I'm supposed to go on a camping trip with my son, his friends, and their fathers, and this is usually an event where the dads drink at night. Me not drinking will be awkward but I'm going to have to suck it up since I promised my kid I'd go.

Even this weekend presents a minor challenge because I'm going to a music festival with one of my other sons. Because the alcohol is in a separate area for adults only and he's underage, and because the beers are like $8 a pop, it'll be easier to avoid drinking, but this is an event where I would often periodically tell my kid to wait near the beer garden while I'd go in and pound a couple. Just writing that makes me sort of ashamed.

Anyway if I can stay out of trouble until a week from Sunday it should be smoother sailing until Thanksgiving.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back Reset!!
Old 09-05-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Reset, the perfect name for what it sounds like you want to do, and can do....reset. Start over, get dried out and cleaned up and get back at it. I wish you the best reset.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Keep at it reset your doing great
oNE day at a time