Notices

Climbing out of the pit

Old 08-29-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Climbing out of the pit

Hi all. I haven't been here for a while so I thought an update was due. I've been busy working for the past 3 weeks. I worked 12 days straight up until yesterday, so I've finally gotten a little free time to post. I am being considered for a permanent position, as the person they hired just gave a 2 week notice this week. They have to post the position, but I'm told I have the advantage since I've already been working there. It doesn't pay as well as my last job, and I was barely getting by with that, but considering what I've just come from, I'm grateful for the opportunity. They don't know yet about my DWI conviction, so I hope that doesn't hurt my chances.

On the subject of the DWI, I received my restricted driver's license this week. Now I just have to get a photo ID from the DMV and, of course, find some kind of a car. Where I live, there is no sufficient public transit and the closest store is a mile away. I'm tired of walking everywhere and even more tired of bumming rides! It surely doesn't help cultivate friendships, and strains old friendships.

All in all, things are going pretty well, taking everything into consideration. I'm working closely with my sponsor and taking the steps necessary to change from the inside out. I don't ever want to go back to the way I was! Often I remember it. I even wake up feeling hungover occasionally, and the sensation is awful. I remember feeling sick all the time, and having to have a drink to avoid being sicker in withdrawal, even when I could barely keep it down. Terrible, horrible existence! But I also know that I've had those experiences for years and still went back to the bottle. Changes need to happen in my psyche so that I don't "deal" with life by trying to escape it.

Speaking of which, a member of my AA group attempted suicide yesterday by taking a bunch of sleeping pills. She left a suicide note. A couple of us were on our way to her house to pick her up for an AA meeting. She had left the back door unlocked, which she would never do. So, it's pretty apparent she wanted to be found. She's been involuntarily committed. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for your friend GMO. Glad you're climbing back out into the sun

D
Old 08-29-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very sorry to hear about your friend!!

Great to hear though things are picking up in your own life!!
Old 08-29-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry about your friend
Old 08-29-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wake up feel in hung over as well. I think that id part of the game early on in recovery. It will pass. Good job keeping busy and congrats on the promising job lead.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are doing a great job of getting your life on a positive track.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Sounds like a great path you have created for yourself.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
Changes need to happen in my psyche so that I don't "deal" with life by trying to escape it.
Yes, that's the bottom line and I'm glad you are working towards that.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
KAD

Still climbing

I keep thinking I need to come here and post something, but then I can't seem to think of much to say. The job I've been on is very busy. Last night, I was emailed the link to apply for the permanent position. One of the first questions was, "Have you ever been convicted of a crime, other than a minor traffic violation?" And close behind that was, "Have you ever been involuntarily terminated from a job?" I took my sponsor's advice and answered honestly. They'd find out the truth either way. Wish me luck on that!

I'll be 5 months sober in less than a week. I feel safe expecting success achieving that as the very idea of drinking makes me feel nauseous. I'm living in the pain of what my addiction has done to my life. I know that sensation can't last forever, but it feels safe as I learn more long-term, inner changes to achieve lasting sobriety. In the meantime, all I have is today, and I am not drinking!
Old 09-07-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on the upcoming 5 months

D
Old 09-08-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

They might find out they might not if you lied. But I can tell you, if they do find out the truth LATER and you lied about it, they can fire you. So in my eyes better to be honest than not.

And if you have been doing a really good job, being on time to work, being productive, not goofing off, then chances are you are looked at more favorably than an external candidate because you have shown you can do the job. If you have to interview, bring home the point that you are grateful for the opportunity, and will continue to work hard.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great to hear you are staying sober It is SO worth it! A year and 1/2 in less then a week for me.

I hope all is well and wish only the best.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by airwick View Post
Great to hear you are staying sober It is SO worth it! A year and 1/2 in less then a week for me.

I hope all is well and wish only the best.
Thanks, and congrats on a year and 1/2!
Old 09-11-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rar

Congratulations on your almost 5 months. That is some seriously awesome time. . It sounds as if your life is coming together. You are certainly making a supreme effort. I hope you get the job you want. Please keep us posted.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very happy to know you're doing well, GetMeOut. Proud of you for those 5 months - we know how hard you worked to get there.