Notices

I'm new, this is my introduction

Old 08-27-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new, this is my introduction

I am new to this site, I just joined because I was feeling anxiety and guilt. Well, I still am. Recently I have been drinking beer every day, and it's burning a bigger hole in my pocket and I just tried to shrug it off but today I can't run from my problems anymore and I need to face the music.
So here I am, asking for help and support because the only thing that seems to help is knowing there are others out there who are going through the same thing.

I'm22 but I have been drinking since I was 15.
The longest I've gone without alcohol since I started was 3 months and that was at the beginning of this year, well, Dec. 29, 2014 to be exact. I lasted until until April when I went to a concert and had some beers with my sister. I was hungover the next day. I didn't drink again until the last week of April when I was packing my stuff because I was moving out. I decided to grab six beer because I was so excited to be moving out and wanted to celebrate with myself. Kinda silly, I know.
Ever since then, I haven't really gone back to being sober. I've lasted maybe a week or two, with like one beer here and there.
My lifestyle changed when i moved out. My roommates like to drink too so i would join them and have a good time but I'm a binge drinker and I drink until I paas out and then i wake up and do it again. This is my problem.
I just push and push and push until one day I wake up and I can't stand myself anymore and I start to feel hopeless. Days like this are hard for me. I know tomorrow will be better if I just don't drink today but by the time I'm off work, I crave a beer, something to take the edge off.
I don't want to do that anymore, I liked when I was sober for those three months. I felt clear headed and I didn't get insecure anymore, i gained my confidence back and I even lost weight. I looked good.
I want to go back to being that happy girl who isn't down on herself because she wasted more money on booze all week.
I'm posting this because I need 5 posts to write a blog entry and I really wanna use this site as my blog so I can document my recovery each day and try to understand what it is that drives me to drink.
This weekend I will be moving back home and my mother will be helping me to stay strong because she knows I struggle with alcoholism. It runs in the family. She has cut way back on her drinking too. She is always a believer in me and I love her that. I really hope to turn my life around when I move home.
Thanks for reading.

- J
Old 08-27-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Mind trying to quit also...good luck
Old 08-27-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome MindEraser nice to meet you
Old 08-27-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, Minderaser. Congratulations on choosing a better way of life. There is a ton of wisdom and great support to be found here, and I hope you'll check in often. We're here for you!
Old 08-27-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR Minderaser. It sounds like you have the right attitude to succeed and at 22 it means you get the benefit of many years of sobriety. Probably the hardest thing will be adapting your social life to one where drink doesn't play a central part

Wishing you all the best
Old 08-27-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Minderaser, to SR.

Sobriety is an exponentially better way in which to live. congratulations on making that choice.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! You're in the right place for support
Old 08-27-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-27-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I'm glad you have decided to stop drinking.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can relate. I am a binge drinker. I drink until I have no beer left or I pass out. THen I wake up and feel horrid. I usually drank more than my friends when we were out at bars, but I wouldnt be the drunkest so I thought I didnt have a problem. It really hit me somtime about a year ago, that I did in fact have a problem. It takes something to realize those kind of things and I am glad that I at least could identify that I do indeed have a problem.

I was sober for about 9 weeks. I felt great and was back to being me. Then for whatever reason I thought I could have a glass of wine at dinner. We were out at a fancy restaurant and I figured that I was over my problem and I could have one glass. Well I did have one glass. Then the next week I had one glass of wine. Then the next weekend I bought beer and drank it all.

I still havent come close to that 9 week sober mark yet in any of my other attempts. Its hard. The first week is hard. The second week is just as hard and it was until about the 3rd or early 4th week that I really felt different.

Anyways, hang in there and we can help you stay sober. But ultimately the choice is yours and yours alone. Hanging around other people who drink is hard- alcohol is ingrained into our society at a young age, that it is ok to go out and have a few beers at happy hour after work when you are young. Then I feel that we never really grow out of that- at least not for us alcoholics. Many of my friends have gone off and had families and dont drink that much- I just wanst like them.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you, good luck to you too
Old 08-27-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
I can relate. I am a binge drinker. I drink until I have no beer left or I pass out. THen I wake up and feel horrid. I usually drank more than my friends when we were out at bars, but I wouldnt be the drunkest so I thought I didnt have a problem. It really hit me somtime about a year ago, that I did in fact have a problem. It takes something to realize those kind of things and I am glad that I at least could identify that I do indeed have a problem.

I was sober for about 9 weeks. I felt great and was back to being me. Then for whatever reason I thought I could have a glass of wine at dinner. We were out at a fancy restaurant and I figured that I was over my problem and I could have one glass. Well I did have one glass. Then the next week I had one glass of wine. Then the next weekend I bought beer and drank it all.

I still havent come close to that 9 week sober mark yet in any of my other attempts. Its hard. The first week is hard. The second week is just as hard and it was until about the 3rd or early 4th week that I really felt different.

Anyways, hang in there and we can help you stay sober. But ultimately the choice is yours and yours alone. Hanging around other people who drink is hard- alcohol is ingrained into our society at a young age, that it is ok to go out and have a few beers at happy hour after work when you are young. Then I feel that we never really grow out of that- at least not for us alcoholics. Many of my friends have gone off and had families and dont drink that much- I just wanst like them.
Thanks for sharing
Old 08-27-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Welcome to SR Minderaser. It sounds like you have the right attitude to succeed and at 22 it means you get the benefit of many years of sobriety. Probably the hardest thing will be adapting your social life to one where drink doesn't play a central part

Wishing you all the best
thank you. I hope I can succeed.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

You 5000% can succeed
Old 08-27-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Welcome to SR, Minderaser. Congratulations on choosing a better way of life. There is a ton of wisdom and great support to be found here, and I hope you'll check in often. We're here for you!
Thank you! I'm glad I found this website.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome minderaser

sounds like you're taking some positive steps

Hanging around SR really helped me break that 'never drink again...ok. just one' cycle - I know we can help you too

D
Old 08-27-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR, Minderaser!
Old 08-27-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're among friends, Minderaser. We understand like no one else can. Great to have you with us - we want to help.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Minderaser!!