Notices

Who would have given out my number to CO addition center?

Old 08-26-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who would have given out my number to CO addition center?

This is the second time I've gotten a pre-recorded message that asks me if I'm battling addiction and then goes on to mention its facility. I've hung up before the recording finishes.

It's not anyone in my family, I know that for sure. It seems pretty unprofessional if either the hospital or IOP are selling numbers.

Could this be the case?
Old 08-26-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's illegal for hospital or IOP to sell personal information, so probably not them, unless they're being unscrupulous and willing to break the law for a little extra money.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. Usually I wouldn't be so confident that my family didn't do (not because they are snakes, but because no one knows that stuff for sure). I know them all well enough (the select few who know, who happen to be the people that shouldn't know) are much too lazy/unable/don't care to call. I don't have a wide network of people who know. I've never received random calls like this in the past, so it has something to do with my hospital and or IOP stay.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Actually, sorry, and I'll second guess myself on what I said. You'll have to check with the laws where you live. Generally, almost every where in the world medical records are sealed, and it's illegal to give that information to 3rd parties.

Who knows though, maybe some politicians where you live decided it was a good idea that if someone ended up in the hospital for detox, to fire them off a pre-recorded message once in a while to help ensure they're ok.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There's a lot of ways to get on marketing lists. All it takes in one website or errant phone call to get you on several.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
There's a lot of ways to get on marketing lists. All it takes in one website or errant phone call to get you on several.
I would call IOP and hospital and ask about how they protect patients privacy. Could be an unscrupulous employee selling info. You are protected by HIPAA, but a call.wouldnt hurt just to be assured, tell them you got these calls and its fishy. I have had 3rd party subrogation companies call me after ER visits to make sure no other party was responsible for these accidents. (Both when I was.drunk but waited till next day to go to ER in case they did blood tests). Accidents as in falls in home, not driving. Going to post a question in a similar vein regarding privacy and employment.