Notices

Thank you

Old 08-21-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Thank you

Recovery is a long long journey and I feel as I have been fighting this forever!! I never wanted to say I am an alcoholic but I realize I am. It has hurt my life in many ways and now I want to take charge again and move forward. The cravings are the worst and my brain all day keeps returning to "just one drink" attitude and I KNOW that is not the right attitude. I may not post much but if I can read others posts I know I am not alone and I can continue to fight this battle. Thanks for listening!
Old 08-21-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

Valyn1688, welcome to SR!

Acceptance is key in recovery. I accept that I will never drink again due to having a forever broken off switch.

When I first arrived here, I read, read, read and then read some more! There are so many helpful threads here so keep reading and don't be afraid to post. I am sure you have already witnessed how supportive this family is!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Valyn1688. I have never admitted to anyone, except you good people here, that I am an alcoholic. For me, even if I couldn't admit it to my friends and family, I could at least admit here. And admit it to myself. And it was that acknowledgment that helped me get and stay sober, for nearly 2 years now.

I wish you the best. I hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think any of us want to be alcoholics, but the main thing is accepting that you can no longer drink alcohol. Recovery is a long journey, but the cravings will diminish before long.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

SR is a step in the right direction As long as you know that you have a problem, no one really needs to know. Unless you feel comfortable doing so . I wish you luck in your Journey to be Sober Your not alone ..
Old 08-21-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Valyn
Old 08-21-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Valyn; glad you found us.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Thanks for saying hello.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Welcome valyn. You are definitely not alone -- lots of support here.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Valyn

SR really helped me - it was great to know I wasn't alone in this and that others understood me and my struggles

I'm glad you found us

D
Old 08-21-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Valyn - I'm so glad to meet you.

Alcohol was destroying me when I found SR. After being here awhile, I finally gave up he idea that there would ever be 'just one'. The support & encouragement I found here gave me the strength to leave my drinking days behind. You can do it.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Valyn!!
Old 08-22-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Valyn - It's good that you see that your "brain all day keeps returning to "just one drink" attitude. It's the addictive voice in your head that keeps urging you to have "just one little drink." It is not you. One thing I discovered that really helped me Stop Drinking is that those urges, cravings and compulsions to drink again and again come from your lower brain center - the part of your brain that is hard-wired for self-preservation and survival - your amygdala, or lizard-brain. This part of your brain is wired to pursue the pleasurable things that help you survive, like food, and air, and love. Unfortunately, alcohol is even more pleasurable than these things, and the lizard brain can go haywire and pursue alcohol like its a desperate matter of survival, But YOU can overcome this addictive voice. It is only a primitive organ in your skull. It is not you. You can overcome its insistent, destructive little urges with your Higher Self - the True You - your mind or your human spirit.