Notices

Getting started

Old 08-13-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Getting started

I am coming on 4 years of sobriety and getting ready to date a non-alcoholic. I tried dating a couple times but was not happy with the results. I have had a plant for almost my full time sober and it is huge. I have a rescue dog that I am happy to say loves me. I recently met a man through internet dating site. Our first actual meeting was in a park and we went for a 4 mile walk and talked for over 2 hours. I like him but have fears that I am broken. I have 3 ex-husbands and several other broken relationships. I dated a couple guys in the last 1.5 years and exited on friendly but unsatisfied basis. I am believe that God has a plan for me but obviously I am not sure what it is. Do I give this man a chance to get to know me and pray for the best? If there is anyone who can give me tips on how to be ready for love again I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Kelli!!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi.

Many of us in recovery have opinions on this topic along with experience but we are not from the same mold.

Relationships for alcoholics are tough for a number of reasons. Not in a particular order, we are sensitive and easily emotional folks, we have a tendency to be immature and insecure, we have a controlling aspect within, many times we find it difficult to be honest and the list can continue.
This is not saying we all have these characteristics at one time but they are common with us.
I’ll let go now and prepare to dodge the arrows.

BE WELL
Old 08-13-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, kelli91711,and congrats on four years sobriety. That is amazing.

I say absolutely give this guy a shot and keep praying on it. Don't set yourself up for failure with grand expectations (or low ones)--just take it one day a time and see where it goes. If nothing else, maybe you'll have a little fun and make a new friend.

Wishing you the best today...
Old 08-13-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kelli

If you feel you're broken, then it might be that you have a little more work to do on yourself...but if you fear you're broken, that might be just be an unfounded fear

what's wrong with taking things slowly and see where they go?

D
Old 08-13-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello:

Forget about your 3 ex husbands and the past!!!

What matters is now so give yourself a chance.

What an exciting opportunity!
Old 08-13-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You don't sound broken, Kelli. Try to remember the drinking Kelli wasn't the 'real' you. I made bad choices & did reckless things while under the influence. You're clear-headed now - I agree with the others - give the man chance to get to know you.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Kelli

If you feel you're broken, then it might be that you have a little more work to do on yourself...but if you fear you're broken, that might be just be an unfounded fear

what's wrong with taking things slowly and see where they go?

D
Dee, there you go again, wise man!! Kelli, what Dee said first paragraph, powerful stuff.