Notices

Another family lost their husband in a DUI crash

Old 08-10-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another family lost their husband in a DUI crash

I just sobbed when I saw the interview with the young mother who lost her husband a young vibrant 29 year old. A drunk driver hit them head on here in my home town of Knoxville, TN. What does this have to do with you and me you would ask? Well once again I realized how many close calls I've had. How many times haven't I left a bar or party driving drunk. I have two convictions behind me and I pray to the good lord that I will never drive drunk again. This is a shout out to the ones who think that it's ok to drive with alcohol in your system. A few beers won't matter etc. Well it does, in your impaired mind you are not thinking straight. That's why we do things drunk that we wouldn't do sober. I am so grateful for not drinking and if I can get anyone to take a mental inventory and to stop the insanity with alcohol I have won the battle in my opinion.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

tnman , Yes that is an eye opener . I totaled 2 cars in 6 months of each other . All I got was just broken ankle in one . I was alone and it was late at night , I'm so glad it was back roads with hardly any traffic .
The worst thing of it all was going to the store for more !! Crazy , I don't know how people can go on if they hurt someone or worse .
That stuff is pure poison
Old 08-10-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The story itself is sad on its own, making it worse is that it was completely avoidable. I have an acquaintance who killed 3 young brothers seven years ago while driving drunk, he spent time in prison, one of his parole duties was speaking to high school kids about the dangers of drunk driving. He got busted 2 months ago driving drunk again. He will be going back to prison. He's only 29.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Scratch
Old 08-10-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NestWasEmpty View Post
The worst thing of it all was going to the store for more !! Crazy , I don't know how people can go on if they hurt someone or worse . That stuff is pure poison

Done it many times. Never wrecked, never gotten a DUI (although I have a few close calls).

Interesting question - does that make me any better than the guy going to prison?

Sorry to hear about that family.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Very sad. Alcoholism doesn't just destroy the alcoholic.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Actually after I had my last accident . I didn't get another car for over a year . Not because I couldn't afford one , but it bothered me that I could have hit another car or even a person walking .
After I had 6 months sober , I did get one and I can't drive very far before my anxiety kicks in. Most of the time I will get rides from a friend .
Every time I here about drunk drivers hurting or killing others , it make me sick knowing I could of been me behind that wheel
Old 08-10-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Into the Void

So I know someone here who had her two children killed by a drugged driver in front of her while they were riding their bikes together. Some woman driving whacked out on pills during the middle of the day. I can't imagine living with that for the rest of your life.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NestWasEmpty View Post
Actually after I had my last accident . I didn't get another car for over a year . Not because I couldn't afford one , but it bothered me that I could have hit another car or even a person walking . After I had 6 months sober , I did get one and I can't drive very far before my anxiety kicks in. Most of the time I will get rides from a friend . Every time I here about drunk drivers hurting or killing others , it make me sick knowing I could of been me behind that wheel

I wasn't singling you out NWE, I was talking more about myself, and how I would go back for more, and my guilt. Sorry if that was confusing.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your right this could be anyone of us
Old 08-11-2015, 01:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I at least had the sense not to drive! I drove drunk many times as a young man but "got religion" in my late 20's. The only good thing I can report from my years of drinking too much was that I knew better than to drive if I'd had more than two drinks. It would be horrible to have to live with knowing you hurt someone, and worse yet for them and their families.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Very sad, thank you for sharing that stark reminder.

I am still shocked sometimes that I never did anything horrible while behind the wheel intoxicated. I pretty much stopped driving after a night out at the bars, but since I was an every day drinker that drank all day on the weekends, there were more times than I can count that I got into my car during the day when I should not have. It is only by the grace of God that nothing happened.