Notices

relapse dream....

Old 08-06-2015, 02:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

relapse dream....

I dreamed last night that I relapsed. I had 'one beer' at a small get-together, then came out of a blackout behind the wheel, having pulled into the driveway at home with my family in the car.

I was terrified.

I had no memory apart from that first beer... it had seemed so simple and harmless.

I was devastated and petrified with fear.

It took me some while after waking to shake off the feelings and to realize, gradually, it had only been a dream and I was safe at home in bed - sober and well.

Man, I'm glad that was just an awful dream.

Happy sober day to you all!!

Old 08-06-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had one of these Tuesday night, for the first time. I don't really remember the dream, I just remember waking up thinking I was hungover and had relapsed. Same type thing you described. I'm glad I had heard of this type thing before it happened.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It is God's way of reminding us we are still alcoholics
Old 08-06-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Daughter Dream

Another daughter dream. This one the terminal cancer was gone. She was cured. I felt joy like I can not explain with tears of happiness streaming down my face then I woke and knew it was only a dream.

Some days are just so hard but I put one foot in front of other on the road to sobriety. Her birthday is in a couple days and she would have been 29 so a lot of emotions are being churned back up.

I know there will always be grief but I just wish this super intense stuff would go away
Old 08-06-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Daughter dream should have been a new most please delete
Old 08-06-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Im just glad dreams are just that dreams i woke up from one today too shook it off and made a tea
Old 08-06-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dreams can really put you through the ringer. I've woken up from relapse dreams wondering if it was a real setback. Some part of my mind had, in that dream, decided it was okay to drink. This always freaks me out and I feel extra vigilant all day after it happens.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hate when that happens. It's unsettling to my sense of well being.

I'm glad it was only a dream. I've had that happen once when I had a lot of stuff going on. Hopefully your day goes well.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Another daughter dream. This one the terminal cancer was gone. She was cured. I felt joy like I can not explain with tears of happiness streaming down my face then I woke and knew it was only a dream.

Some days are just so hard but I put one foot in front of other on the road to sobriety. Her birthday is in a couple days and she would have been 29 so a lot of emotions are being churned back up.

I know there will always be grief but I just wish this super intense stuff would go away
(((MIR))). I have had similar dreams about loved ones.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I dreamed last night that I relapsed. I had 'one beer' at a small get-together, then came out of a blackout behind the wheel, having pulled into the driveway at home with my family in the car.

I was terrified.

I had no memory apart from that first beer... it had seemed so simple and harmless.

I was devastated and petrified with fear.

It took me some while after waking to shake off the feelings and to realize, gradually, it had only been a dream and I was safe at home in bed - sober and well.

Man, I'm glad that was just an awful dream.

Happy sober day to you all!!

I had a drinking dream not too long ago. The dream was fuzzy; I couldn't tell you 'where' I was, 'who' I was with - only that a half-full glass of wine sat in front of me and the taste of wine was on my breath. I remember thinking "What am I doing? I don't drink. Holy cr*p, I blew it." It was an awful feeling.

Those 'reminders' are good, I guess. If nothing else, they re-affirm our distaste for alcohol and our decision to banish it from our lives.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I had a similar dream a few nights ago. I had forgotten it until I saw this post. I've been dealing a lot with anxiety lately and, in this dream, I awoke in the middle of the night, anxious, frightful, worried, and all out of sorts. There was a bottle of vodka by my bed and, just as I used to do, I took several swallows from it in anticipation of some sense of relief and well-being. Then I really woke up anxious, frightful, worried and all out of sorts, over the dream! But very glad it was only a dream.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

They can be very unsettling!! Though thankfully just a dream!!
Old 08-06-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Free owl, thankfully As drinking dream is just a dream. Those used to shake me to the core, could mess up my whole day. Now I just wake up and go, "yep, that's another one I'm sober, all is well."

The other night, I had a relapse dream and in the dream, I said "this is ********" and poured it out! you'll adapt. They won't stop, but they do get easier or even sometimes funny.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Free Owl - I've had three nightmares like that over the past 7 months. Each time I found myself in a beautiful location, with perfect weather, and then it happens - out of no where! I awake in terror at the moment in which I feel myself surrender and drink. It's horrible. . . But I look at it like a blessing - feeling the disappointment (albeit in the flash of a dream) of giving in to THE urge - without actually DOING it.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

When I now have the occasional drinking dream it seems linked to a particularly stressful or off day. Maybe something bugging me or on my mind. In hindsight it seems there is a correlation for me when these pop up.

It exhausting when awakening - sort of an emotional hangover feeling. Takes a bit to shake it.

How the heck did we ever deal with real, frequent hangovers!!?? I suppose it's a good reminder every once in awhile.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had a dream recently too.....in it I decided that I was having a beer and that was it and yes id have to start all. Over again but I was determined to have that beer.....I never did cause I woke up and was happy it was just a dream.....but it felt so real.