Notices

Taking Selincro for alcohol anyone else taken it?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taking Selincro for alcohol anyone else taken it?

I've been taking this and drinking with it and i think it makes me depressed, it certainly has lowered my consumpstion from 16 pints a day to about 7, i am also taking limbrium but think i am amune to it now... I really want to stop but the cravings are chroninic which Selincro and Librium are suppossed to eleviate.. Any sugestions???
Old 08-05-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cravings are part of alcoholism. The brain requires you to feed it.

The only way out is through it. When I stopped drinking I had to deal with the cravings for a few weeks and then it was over. It's just a choice to make.

Cravings in the beginning are physical, then later psychological.

Have you thought about a medical detox? I would think Librium and alcohol would be a very bad mix. Dangerous.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Cravings are part of alcoholism. The brain requires you to feed it.

The only way out is through it. When I stopped drinking I had to deal with the cravings for a few weeks and then it was over. It's just a choice to make.

Cravings in the beginning are physical, then later psychological.

Have you thought about a medical detox? I would think Librium and alcohol would be a very bad mix. Dangerous.
I'm begining to find that Librium are having no effect and i crave alcohol the moment i wake... I dont have the strenght or willpower to give into the cravings with all thats going on... I do notice i cannot get any drunk feeeling when i drink though, just fall asleep even in the bar. I'm wondering is that what Selencro is meant to do???
Old 08-05-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stop drinking! You do have the strength and the willpower - you've just chosen to take the easy way. That easy way is coming back to bite you now.

You're not getting the buzz because you're an alcoholic.

The mix of Librium and alcohol will kill you. Your heart rate and breathing are so suppressed, you can't even stay awake. This is really dangerous.

No one here can give you medical advice. Your doctor needs to know what you're doing. Please make an appointment and be honest.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Paddyjnr View Post
I'm begining to find that Librium are having no effect and i crave alcohol the moment i wake... I dont have the strenght or willpower to give into the cravings with all thats going on... I do notice i cannot get any drunk feeeling when i drink though, just fall asleep even in the bar. I'm wondering is that what Selencro is meant to do???
Selencro and many of the other drugs you are taking are meant to be used in a carefully prescribed manner during withdrawals, but they also have many other uses. It sounds to me as if you are abusing them just like you do alcohol.

My advice would be to seek a supervised detox, either at a hospital or an alcohol rehab center. At the very least see a doctor and let them know all the drugs you are taking, how much and also how much you are drinking. Once you start mixing and matching drugs with alcohol it is a potentially very dangerous situation.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

You need to stop drinking put your heart and soul into it if you dont want to drink build a plan around not drinking

were not allowed to talk meds but i think you should see a Dr as self medicating while drinking aswell is seriously dangerous

Really hope you decide on making a last day 1 and stick to it

you so can do this Paddyjr
Old 08-05-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is no miracle drug. If there was, this site would be a ghost-town.

I take Campral to help lessen my cravings, but it doesn't completely shut them off. I still have to really put in the effort and work through the cravings when they hit.

You CAN do this. Please talk to your doctor.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think the best thing for you is to see a doctor and talk honestly about what you are feeling and how much you are drinking. I have never heard of the medicines you are taking, though even if I had it would not be wise of me (and against forum rules) for me to advise you on them. I was prescribed Campral to deal with cravings and I do feel as if it helps me with physiological cravings. I do not think it helps with psychological cravings. So, in the end, I do have a help because I am not dealing with the physiological part of my addiction, which I do feel is a big part, but I still am on my own for the psychological part.

So, in summary, see your doctor and also read the following book: Under the Influence: Understanding the Myths and Realities of Alcoholism

Best of luck to you. It isn't easy, this I know. But I absolutely would not recommend messing around with drugs, prescribed or otherwise, without talking to a professional.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Check in with a Dr!! Be safe!!
Old 08-07-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Librium does not stop or reduce cravings.

Please talk honestly with a doctor and bring a list of questions you have, and ask the doctor!