Notices

The alcohol stopped working

Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The alcohol stopped working

I relapsed on friday after 75 days of abstinence and I could not catch the buzz I could before I quit drinking. Why? I'm glad I didn't but it was very strange. I felt no relief from my anxiety at all. I'm back in recovery now, has anyone else experienced this?
Old 08-02-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. Alcohol completely stopped giving me a buzz. It offered no relief. Basically, in the past when I took my first drink it felt like my body started glowing and my mind was filled with peace and serenity. That was then. In the last two years of drinking I could no longer enjoy it, no matter how hard I tried.

My heart rate would remain elevated when I drank like it was every day at work. I was a 5 pm to pass out drinker. My hands still had a slight tremble during the whole drinking session (first drink to the twelfth). I felt agitated as I drank (just as I felt agitated all day at work sober).

Actually, I just remembered the weirdest part. About 10 or so beers in I would literally say out loud: I don't feel drunk at all. Like on a 1-10 of drunk I feel a zero or maybe a one. But when I would talk on the phone, let's say, after ten beers I was aware that my voice was slurring even though I felt sober. I could not type a complete sentence in an email. It was "drunk typing" but I felt sober.

Oh my body was all sorts of messed up.

I can honestly say that when the alcohol stopped working it wasn't even that hard to stop. It was not giving me anything anymore, literally.

Another thing from this time period. The hangovers were exponentially worse than they had ever been.

That's another shift, when you stop worrying about barfing the next day and start worrying about having a stroke.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Leapofaith

alcohol certainly stopped working for me, but that didn't stop me drinking, sadly.

I think it's part of the natural progression of alcoholism.

I'm glad you're doing something about it - welcome aboard

D
Old 08-02-2015, 09:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've always found alcohol to be a mood enhancer,, whether it be positive, negative or just the 'ugh'of in-between. And the positives are few and far between and short lived when the sedative effect of the alcohol takes hold.

I felt exactly like this after a 46 day sobriety, I'm sure the negativity of the regret plays a part even if it's only subconsciously.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I remember wondering why my hangovers no longer included throwing up.

It was when the hangovers transitioned into withdrawals.

I had no idea that had happened. So I searched, in vain, for many more years to find that perfect buzz again.

Nope. It was long gone.

I would go to bed feeling almost sober. That is until all hell broke loose when my BAC started to drop. The withdrawals would march in with full intentions to try to kill me. Blood pressure spiking, heart pounding, shaking, anxiety that was end of times worthy.

Once the line has been crossed, there is simply no going back.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum LeapofFaith!!
Old 08-03-2015, 01:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome leapoffaith
Old 08-03-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It was very rare for me to be able to feel a real buzz during my last couple of years of drinking. So I just kept drinking more and more and more trying to catch it.

Glad you're back with us, leapoffaith. Hope you'll check in regularly. This is a better way of life.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi leapoffaith, I would take it as a blessing in disguise. You chose to drink to relish that great buzz you had become accustomed to and pffft....nothing. Maybe leave well enough alone and accept that alcohol doesn't work anymore.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

I would say that's Good news leapoffaith
I would have 3 years sober this month , cause I had stopped 3 years ago for 8 months . My esophagus & stomach was in bad shape . Like a Moron I thought If I tried mixed milk drinks I should be good to go !! I couldn't get a Buzz going at all , on top of that I got the worse stomach pains
About 3-4 months of trying off & on I gave Up
Old 08-03-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you posted.