Letting go with love

Old 07-29-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letting go with love

This is what it looks like to me:

"Not all toxic people are cruel and uncaring. Some of them love us dearly. Many of them have good intentions. Most are toxic to our being simply because their needs and way of existing in the world force us to compromise ourselves and our happiness. They aren’t inherently bad people, but they aren’t the right people for us. And as hard as it is, we have to let them go. Life is hard enough without being around people who bring you down, and as much as you care, you can’t destroy yourself for the sake of someone else. You have to make your wellbeing a priority. Whether that means breaking up with someone you care about, loving a family member from a distance, letting go of a friend, or removing yourself from a situation that feels painful – you have every right to leave and create a safer space for yourself."

— Daniell Koepke
It took me several years to learn how to do this with absolute sincerity, and it took my daughter's addiction to remove the blinders from my eyes. It's been worth every moment I've devoted towards my happiness.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Well put, Chino. I have had to detach from more than a few toxic people in my life, it took recovery for me to be able to spot the toxins...what brought me down...anger and loud voices, sarcasm and disrespect, unreliability and those who turned their back when I needed them most.

Today I seek out honest, kind, friendly people with no axe to grind. In turn, I am aware of how and when my own negativity can bring not only me down but those who attach themselves to me.

It's an ongoing lesson, this recovery. Thank you for making me think.

Hugs
Old 08-04-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love this a lot. It hurts but its just what I needed to hear. Thanks for sharing, hope all is well c:
Old 08-04-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

This was & is such a wise lesson for me to learn (and sometimes re learn)

It should never been unsafe to be in the company of a friend or family - safe emotionally & physically ~ if it is ~ time to take care of you & distance to a safer place.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. So true. Hard to let go of my son but I have to. He has been sober for 2 months now but I see him starting to break down. He still smokes his weed and has the anxiety. Why he can't see the two go hand in hand I don't know. He will be 21 in 2 months and I am scared. He knows he can't drink in our home. He will graduate college in December and plans to move out west (1600 miles from home) by himself.... I am scared to death. I told him I can't just hop in a car and drive there if something happens. He will have to be responsible for his actions. If he does something stupid, it is on him.... I am so scared.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hummingbird, my family and I can completely relate. I pray for you, your family, and your son.