Notices

Alcohol Abuse and Depression

Old 07-20-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Abuse and Depression

Just wondering if anybody has a history of depression/anxiety? I have mostly used alcohol to self-medicate, even when I am on anti-depressant medication...but then it makes things so much worse...because...it's a depressant!

Any tips on dealing with an underlying emotional disorder while trying to stay sober?
Old 07-20-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Just about all of us have some underlying condition(S). And yes, self-medicating is very common. The first step is to obviously stop drinking...that in itself can help alleviate a lot of the symptoms.

Regarding your second question, the best way I know of to deal with emotional/psychological issues is to see a therapist. Just as you would see a medical doctor if you had physical problem, a therapist is trained to help deal with psychological problems. For me personally talk-based therapy and mindfulness/meditation has helped me deal with my anxiety and OCD. For some therapy and medications work too.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

Hi daybyday! I have had depressive episodes since I was a teenager. I have not had much success with medication in the past and because I drank I wasn't willing to throw drugs into the mix.

I have been sober for 6 months and 20 1/2 days and haven't been depressed in that time. That is not to say I don't expect it and I have had plenty of days where my emotions have been all over the place.

What I do know is that (despite my protestations while I was drinking), first and foremost, NOT drinking is the best thing I can do for myself no matter what and second, I am seeing a counselor regularly. Having someone completely objective and confidential to talk to is a God send for me.

I hope you continue to post here
Old 07-20-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drank to medicate depression and anxiety but it only made things much worse and my antiDs didn't work while I was drinking. Now that I'm sober my meds work as they should and my depression is manageable.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ditto what least said. I drank to self medicate but the alcohol only upped my depression and withdrawal anxiety kicked my azz. The antidepressant I took did little to no good while I was still drinking.

Once I completely quit and not sneaking a few here or there, my anxiety has almost gone away. My depression is very mild and now mainly treatable by actually taking care of myself. But I had to stop drinking to find that out
Old 07-20-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

quiting drinking obviously helps. but after that i had to kinda assemble a toolbox to battle both. In it i have exercise, diet, meditation, not biting off more then i can chew, doing things i'm good at over and over becuase it gives me some sort of sense of achievement and self worth, and a few various supplements.

Its still hard at times however. for example i've had a couple easy good weeks but now I'm having a tougher day so the battle is on again a little bit in the anxiety department. I know why tho its just issues with work.

But what is worse is when I get either of these issues for no apparent reason at all. At those times I just try and bide my time and push though it. espeically if none of the above in my tool box is working for me to keep things manageable.

At the end of the day for me i've never been able to fully solve these 2 things. I can keep working at it. I can try and manage it try and keep it at levels that I can handle. But I have not found a magic bullet in my case yet.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My emotional state definitely improved when I parted ways with alcohol, I thought it was helping but it was actually making things worse!!

Hang in there!!
Old 07-20-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you spoke to your Dr about possible options regarding your anxiety & depression it helped me loads talking about it to a Dr & seeking therapy

Good luck