??

Old 08-30-2004, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

??

i missed my regular al-anon meeting on sat. and the first one that is available in my neck of the woods is an al-anon for adult children (which i am).

how are these different from regular al-anon mtgs.? do they focus on the past issues as opposed to present issues? i know it probably won't hurt me to go to this meeting, but just wanted to get a feel for the difference.

thx for any help!

cwohio
Old 08-30-2004, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Hey CW,
There is some literature in Al-Anon focussed towards Adult Children. "From Survival to Rcovery" and 'Hope for Today". These are usually the main texts used in ACoA meetings. They use the same Al-Anon principles, and address how growing up in an alcoholic home effects life as an adult, and how to address these issues. My parents weren't alcoholics, but both came from alcoholic homes, and have never sought recovery. I have found the literature and focus for ACoA's very useful in my own recovery.

It was difficult to explore my young life. I had to be willing to re-experience pain that was long in the past in order to let go of it and truly move forward. It was scary and painful, but with love and support I got through it and am more healthy because of it. Hugs, Magic
Old 08-30-2004, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks magic - i am basically new to the al-anon program (about 5 meetings) and since i missed the sat. eve meeting i wanted to try and get one in and this was the soonest and closest. there is a regular one on wed. evening that i could wait for.

after reading lots of posts, i'm not sure if i will get into recovery overload by trying to tackle too much at one time. i am dealing with an ah right now. i may want to get into the acoa stuff at a time later down the road. i am in the process of choosing a therapist this week.

i just don't want to get so overwhelmed (and i am beginning to feel that way - info overload).

thanks for the insight and answering so quickly - i think i may just wait for the wed. meeting.

cwohio
Old 08-30-2004, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

((CW))
Take it at whatever pace you feel comfortable at. Take a deep breath and give yourself a hug. You are doing great. Hugs, Magic
Old 08-30-2004, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks magic - i appreciate the encouragement and hugs!

cwohio