Notices

I don't know what to do

Old 07-16-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know what to do

I'm trapped in my job. It's making me really miserable. It's down to me to change isn't it? My mum and dad, girlfriend , manager are a saying it so it must be true. I'm told I'm negative I honestly have no idea if I am or not anymore. I'm literally surviving every day.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

we will remain in any situation exactly as long as it takes for the pain of our current situation to outweigh the fear of trying something different...

or until the decision is made FOR us.

We can also find some interesting territory in considering whether the pain is coming from the situation itself - or our attitudes about it.

If what you're dealing with in your current employment isn't something you can come to terms with, find ways to accept and excel within - then start focusing on what you'd PREFER - and then take steps to make that happen.

(it won't get better by posting about it on the Internet..... )
Old 07-16-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Stewey ,
change is possible and it's within our power to look for benefits from it .

12 years ago i was off sick with stress and anxiety for 6 months , when i came back to the job the local manager decided to start making things difficult ..

I quit the job, sold my home and moved to a different country .

A poor financial decision and one that gave free reign to my drinking but also it allowed pent up frustration to be dropped ..

Looking back i think i did the right thing ( drinking was a bit rubbish tho ) .

You've been posting about this issue for what … 3 months now ?

How would you offer help to someone if you knew they were in the position you are ?

We're no good to ourselves or anyone if we become nervous wrecks ..

What small but solid steps can you make to get to a better place ? just like sobriety .. small solid steps , nothing drastic or dramatic .

There is a whole world of work and interesting things to do in the world i hope you find a good place within it

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-16-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can relate Stewy...I've felt *trapped* at my workplace too...And came close to calling it quits a few times.

It's not a decision i took lightly though...And by talking it out with others (my sponsor, my fellow AA friends, my Girlfriend etc...) it turns out i had some major underlying issues happening with my outlook regarding life itself...Not just my job.

That was about 1 year or so ago...Looking forward now...Some days i can't stand my stand my job...But i'm still grateful that i have it.

I could (and likely should) have been let go in the past couple of years when my drinking REALLY took off...

If you don't mind sharing...What type of work do you do?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Stewy are you looking at other potential work ? im not saying leave your job but if your not happy then its time to start thinking about this

Do you think if you did change jobs it would solve the problem ?
Old 07-16-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, if you feel sure that a new/different job would be a positive change in your life, then go for it. I have some concern that you might still have the same issues/problems to deal with. Have you looked around at opportunities that are available in your field or have you considered retraining?
Old 07-16-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What is making this particular job miserable? Why do you feel trapped?

Edit: I've looked through your posts. I've come to the conclusion that while your job is a problem you're very depressed in general. Is that right?
Old 07-16-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I felt that way. I even tried working out more, changed jobs, distanced myself from ppl I figured were making me unhappy. Then nothing changed n I went to the doctors n just broke down. I don't enjoy life anymore, things that bring me happiness don't, I just felt broken. I was actually having a hard time feeling at all I was just numb. It sounds like u may have depression or a chemical issue, definitely discuss it with your doctor. I've started taking an antidepressant called Effexor n man has it helped. I have energy, I'm starting to enjoy things again n if I don't take It I notice how badly I feel emotionally n how crazy a difference it makes.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
Stewey , change is possible and it's within our power to look for benefits from it . 12 years ago i was off sick with stress and anxiety for 6 months , when i came back to the job the local manager decided to start making things difficult .. I quit the job, sold my home and moved to a different country . A poor financial decision and one that gave free reign to my drinking but also it allowed pent up frustration to be dropped .. Looking back i think i did the right thing ( drinking was a bit rubbish tho ) . You've been posting about this issue for what … 3 months now ? How would you offer help to someone if you knew they were in the position you are ? We're no good to ourselves or anyone if we become nervous wrecks .. What small but solid steps can you make to get to a better place ? just like sobriety .. small solid steps , nothing drastic or dramatic . There is a whole world of work and interesting things to do in the world i hope you find a good place within it Bestwishes, m
I don't know the way to the better place, I've always had alcohol to fall back on. I'm scared to be honest
Old 07-16-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Findingtheway View Post
I can relate Stewy...I've felt *trapped* at my workplace too...And came close to calling it quits a few times. It's not a decision i took lightly though...And by talking it out with others (my sponsor, my fellow AA friends, my Girlfriend etc...) it turns out i had some major underlying issues happening with my outlook regarding life itself...Not just my job. That was about 1 year or so ago...Looking forward now...Some days i can't stand my stand my job...But i'm still grateful that i have it. I could (and likely should) have been let go in the past couple of years when my drinking REALLY took off... If you don't mind sharing...What type of work do you do?
Hi finding the way, I work in health and social care, in a managerial position, big changes are happening and I feel like I'm being managed out
Old 07-16-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Stewy are you looking at other potential work ? im not saying leave your job but if your not happy then its time to start thinking about this Do you think if you did change jobs it would solve the problem ?
I've had a browse, I'm one of those types who have no direction in terms of career, I'm not driven that way.

Dunno mate, guess I'll still have all the anxieties and depressive thoughts
Old 07-16-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Stewy, if you feel sure that a new/different job would be a positive change in your life, then go for it. I have some concern that you might still have the same issues/problems to deal with. Have you looked around at opportunities that are available in your field or have you considered retraining?
I'm also concerned the issues will still be there too, yes the opportunities are scarce right now, I'm scared
Old 07-16-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lighter View Post
What is making this particular job miserable? Why do you feel trapped? Edit: I've looked through your posts. I've come to the conclusion that while your job is a problem you're very depressed in general. Is that right?
I thought I was recovering from the depressive episode, then I returned to work and have struggled to come to terms with it whether that be the huge stigma or the over beating boss. I'm struggling in other aspects though, my close relationships are deteriorating
Old 07-16-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Punkin7788 View Post
I felt that way. I even tried working out more, changed jobs, distanced myself from ppl I figured were making me unhappy. Then nothing changed n I went to the doctors n just broke down. I don't enjoy life anymore, things that bring me happiness don't, I just felt broken. I was actually having a hard time feeling at all I was just numb. It sounds like u may have depression or a chemical issue, definitely discuss it with your doctor. I've started taking an antidepressant called Effexor n man has it helped. I have energy, I'm starting to enjoy things again n if I don't take It I notice how badly I feel emotionally n how crazy a difference it makes.
Punkin I'm already on the drug you mention this supposedly treats the depression, I still don't feel right but it is what it is I've made enough excuses
Old 07-16-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi, Stewie.

Depression is a hard one. You're obviously already seeking medical help, which is a good thing. Certain things outside of work can help such as taking a walk for fifteen minutes a day, joining a team sport, taking up a hobby or even volunteering. Finding a way to help others is known to help depression.

In an optimal world it might be better to look round in the organization you're in to find a less challenging position, although I recognize this would be a come down.

When I've been depressed in the past I've always experienced "Rumination" which is where you go round and round over the same problems or past experiences trying to work out what is causing your unhappiness without doing anything to solve the problem.

This is a symptom of the depression . In CBT you're taught to focus on something else rather than continue to Ruminate.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well I'm glad u r seeking help for this i had a bad state of denial n just figured I'd cure it n time hence y I'm on here I think "I've got it" well I clearly don't got it lol but I tried several medications before I found the one that worked for me. One medication made me have four year old temper tantrums (super embarrassing), another made me so sick to my stomach I stopped eating. It takes time bc everyone reacts different, one may work for me while the same won't work for someone else. Tell ur doctor it's not working this is imperative bc they can't know if u don't tell them. I hope u find peace in your life very soon stewey
Old 07-16-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How long have you been in this job Stewy?!!

Change is never easy, I was told the other day by a senior manager, if I still feel uncomfortable after 6 months, hang in there, as it will take at least a full year to grasp my new role that I've just changed to, that kinda gave me great comfort, as it's gonna take time!!