Notices

Experiences?

Old 07-16-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Experiences?

I normally post on f&f but I "belong" here, too. I have severe depression. Major depression, bipolar depression? I've heard both but one things for sure it SUCKS. And I am pretty much out of options for meds. Des are starting to skirt around the ECT issue. That scare the ever.login snot out of me. I know it's effective for 80% of people but the memory loss........It's too terrifying to think about.

Anyone ever have this done or know someone who has? Experiences?
Old 07-16-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think talking to a Dr would really help TerpGirl
Old 07-16-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Terp I am sorry you are going through this. I have struggled with major depression myself. It had a lot to do with why I became alcoholic. I take an SNRI and use CBT. It has been a huge help. While my depression isn't completely gone the episodes are much less frequent and severe.

Are you seeing a therapist? Havre you had your thyroid checked? I have heard that ECT can be really a miracle. The actress/author Carrie Fisher had it done. She said while she has had some memory loss some came back over time.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I think talking to a Dr would really help TerpGirl
yeap the doc is the one telling me maybe its time to consider it. I have done almost every med under the sun and therapy too.

The memory loss SO scares me. I am a psych nurse, the last place I worked did ECT. Some of the stuff I saw there gave me pause. Not just the stuff from your past but the ability to retain new information. Ever seen that movie Momento? sometimes that comes back after 6 mos to a year. Sometimes it doesnt,
Old 07-16-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I understand TerpGirl have you thought about a talking therapy Cbt counseling etc

Sorry if im asking the wrong questions if you ever want to just talk you can msg me anytime
Old 07-17-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks . Yep I have been in talk therapy on and off for 12 years. Mostly cbt however also been doing some emdr (a specialized therapy for pres) with my current t. Sometimes I wish therapists could actually just tell you what to do instead of asking "well how does that make you feel?"
Old 07-18-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Im just in the beginning stages of starting therapy myself if you ever want to talk you can send a msg