Notices

scared....

Old 07-15-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scared....

So I went to see my counselor. He said he's referring me to a psychiatrist for an evaluation. He thinks I might be either manic depression or the starts of bipolar....my moms bipolar and self medicated. I'm scared to find out what's to come. I spread have been diagnosed with OCD, PTSD, and anxiety. But I am having weird highs and lows...
Old 07-15-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

It's natural to be scared, but with expert help you might be on the verge of something great. If you can, don't be passive with your doctors; ask them for some reading material and what you can do for yourself to stabilise. Make them your partner in good mental health.
Congratulations on avoiding the self-med path which can only lead to disaster.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found that being labeled bipolar by a psychiatrist didn't matter as much as I thought it would. I had to go through a few different medication combinations before I found something I could live with. I go to group therapy for mood disorders once a week for six months now and it's been nice to have that support in there. It's not something that defines me, it's something I am learning to live with and balance out. My highs and lows have balanced out quite a bit the last few months. Good luck at your evaluation I hope it all goes well regardless.