Notices

What a good sport Elton John is

Old 07-12-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What a good sport Elton John is

I was just browsing through Facebook and came upon a post from the local summer festival that hosts big name musicians in a little piazza in a small town nearby. Very cool summer concert series, unfortunately I'm afraid of getting rip-roaring drunk there so haven't gone this year.
Anyway, they just posted a backstage picture of the organizers handing Elton John a very large bottle of Sassicaia wine. Delicious wine I have to say, one of the top bottles from Italy. However, not the best gift for a recovering alcoholic. I'm sure just the slightest bit of research would have brought to light his sobriety and they could have put together a gorgeous and delicious basket of Tuscan products to give him instead.

Meh. The picture annoyed me. I get it that the world cannot revolve around our alcoholism and I know the gift was given with good intentions but to be honest it made me mad. I think I'm having a really grumpy sober day and it just rubbed me the wrong way. I personally am sick and tired of being offered alcohol everywhere. Those closest to me know and don't "tempt" me, but I can't expect everyone to know and I can't fault them for making offers/gestures that are considered polite by most, but it is still exhausting to fight the good fight only to have the exact thing that is still tempting me literally offered up on a silver platter at every turn.

/rant
Old 07-12-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Grumpy day or not your your sober Mera by default your awesome
Old 07-12-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The really good news is that when I got sober and gained some time, these life on life's term insignificant events hold no power over me. I could care less what somebody attempted to give Elton John.

But, that was me and my alcoholism. I would have yelling matches with "hate" TV !!! CNN - FOX et al........

That's insanity.

Today, I simply stay sober and work on my little corner of the world. I deleted my FB because for me it was garbage and fueled resentments. People posting pictures of what dessert they're eating. Really!>!>

That was the problem - I was more concerned about showing others what great things I was doing rather than staying in the moment and actually doing

Life changes rapidly with complete sobriety. What bothered me is no longer and what attracts me is so different, today.

If offered alcohol I simply say no thank you or I don't drink. Easy.

Glad you're back and posting, welcome!
Old 07-12-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been a huge Elton Fan since Day 1.

At his nadir, he states he was doing 2 to 3 Grams of Coke/Day, along with a Bottle of Scotch/Day as a 'Speedball'.

Perhaps with his beloved Children now in his Life, and playing Vegas w/o the strain of constant Touring, such annoyances as receiving Liquor have receded to the diminished stature of meaning 'nothing'. Precisely what such situations deserve in an Ideal [Sober] World.

- 'I'm Still Standing' ~ Elton John ~ Live At Wembley Stadium -
Old 07-12-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

You're right Meraviglioso about the pervasiveness of alcohol culture but I guess that a small town in Italy and the Festival organisers may not be as aware of his former problems as the English speaking world. Also they were quite a long time ago now so younger people are probably not aware of his wilder days.

I'm sure the artist formerly known as Reg has everything under control
Old 07-12-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I agree, the in your face marketing and advertising of alcohol is almost ridiculous. I've noticed where I am there are beer commercials on the radio every morning...MORNING. And on the weekends, (I watch a lot of sports), they start advertising liquor and beer at 7AM and it never ends. It doesn't really bother me, but it sends me a message and that message is that there alot of alcoholics out there or those companies wouldn't be spending money to advertise at 7AM.

Anyway, you are having an angry sober day...sober being the key word there correct?
Old 07-12-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

As others have suggested, I've learned that my attention to alcohol is a measure of where I'm at in my sobriety, in my life, and has nothing to do with what the rest of the world is doing.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good observations everyone, thanks for making it clear. I'm definitely still at a spot where I notice that kind of thing, I've got a ways to go. The good news is I'm working on it. For the record, Elton, 25+ years into his journey and ever the class act professional that he is, was all smiles as he received the well intended gift.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Someone gave me a beautiful bottle of french wine the other day as a thank you.

Thankfully I never cared for wine much. It gave me a headache. I passed it along to another coworker who I knew would appreciate it and doesn't have a drinking problem. Made me laugh a little though.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

While many of us would love to abolish alcohol from the world to limit temptation especially in the early going that's just not feasible. Alcohol is always going to be around and that's something we have to live with. I obviously don't know Sir Elton John but like you said he's quit for awhile now, I'm sure he saw the gift of the wine as a kind gesture and either kept it as such, gave it to his partner to enjoy (don't know if he drinks) or sent it on it's way to another family member or friend.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Unless someone were to assault you it's always your choice whether you drink or not. You can't expect other people to understand or even know you are a (recovering) alcoholic.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Good observations everyone, thanks for making it clear. I'm definitely still at a spot where I notice that kind of thing, I've got a ways to go. The good news is I'm working on it. For the record, Elton, 25+ years into his journey and ever the class act professional that he is, was all smiles as he received the well intended gift.
I am sure Sir Elton tossed it on the enormous pile of stuff he's been presented for many, many years. Perhaps his life long companion drinks - no idea.

I will say Elton John was one of the best 3-4 concerts I have ever seen. The man is truly passionate about playing and putting on a show - incredible performer from the first song to the last.

Very humble - the bowing in thanks he did round and round the stage all night in gratitude would have sent me to the chiropractor! Amazing guy.....
Old 07-12-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree. I saw Sir Elton John in concert May of this year. At 68 years old he has not slowed down one bit !

DD
Old 07-13-2015, 12:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

He's a legend. You are so right flynby, he is an incredible performer. I've seen him 7 or 8 times in concert and every single time he was 100% on, energetic, enthusiastic and fun for the entire show. I loved the shows he did with Billy Joel too. He's definitely one of my favorites.