Quack Quack......just wanted to share....

Old 07-10-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quack Quack......just wanted to share....

After several hours drinking my AH has sat down tonight wanting 'demanding' to know how Al Anon is helping me.

wants to know how he can join up.

Followed by he believes it's a cult that is not helping 'him'.....Quack Quack Quack.....heard it all before...

He is right it's not helping him....as firstly he doesn't go, and secondly my Al Anon meetings are not about him, it's about me.

I am very grateful to be attending Al Anon and having been to a meeting today, it has reconfirmed for me tonight why I go and the reason I still go.

I did not engage as I would have done previously....he wasn't going to leave the room so in the end I said 'perhaps you are right'......he then ran out of steam, very quickly.....and promptly left the room as there was nothing to fight me about...I had agreed with the drunken A!!! wish I had known that ten years ago LOL!

Thanks to SR and Al Anon I have learnt these simple yet such affective responses.

So simple yet so damn effective.

I am making progress......

I am taking care of myself and the rest is following.....all be it slowly but I am doing ok and I am totally comfortable where I am at.

That doesn't mean that occasionally I wouldn't like to do this....... I would never do that of coarse but occasionally I feel like it.....I am sure many of you can relate to that!....

I am doing alright!

Take care Phiz
Old 07-10-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One of the dear elderly women in my home group used to say the way to deflate an alcoholic was to say, "You may be right." I've used it myself and it sounds like it worked for you. Good job.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep-let then live in their insanity created by none other than themselves. Bravo to you! Alcoholism sucks.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's a wonderful simple quick response that completely took the wind out of his sails.

I read it on a post here from someone and it really worked!

I was then able to get on with my evening.

phiz007
Old 07-11-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

It doesn't just work with alcoholics either, but with any angry or overbearing person.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Very well done, I have found as Feeling Great above mentions, it works with all sorts of people that you don't wish to engage with. Deflates anyone looking to bait for a fight or pity party.