Notices

Sugar

Old 06-30-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar

Why are we to avoid sugar. I don't generally gravitate towards sugar......but since Ive been attempting to quit drinking sometimes I feel like I have low sugar....so I drink a soda. I eat more fruit now and drink more oj but still I need the sugar.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When we stop drinking we deprive our bodies of the thousands of extra calories and sugar from alcohol, so many of us get intense sugar cravings in early sobriety. Sugary treats can help with cravings early on, but over doing sugar can become a problem in itself if left unchecked.

Still, I'll err on the side of Breyer's rather than Bushmills.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well. This is what I've learned through my research.

Ethyl Alcohol is broken down into sugar to be used by the body for fuel. When you initially stop drinking and have not started really eating yet...the body craves the sugar as a source of fuel.

Instead of filling up with more sugar, try eating a well rounded nutritious diet. It will reduce sugar craving.

But a sugar treat (chocolate) now and then doesnt hurt.

This is not medical advice. It is simply "common knowledge" every alcoholic should know.

Hope it helps.

DD
Old 06-30-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you......I know why I crave sugar but I don't know why I should be avoiding it......what's the risk here. I am most definetly going to have to introduce more sugar in my diet as I pretty much eat zero of it unless I'm craving it and I have craved it.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, sugar is not really good for you...just like salt. If you dont really want it...thats a good thing !

DD
Old 06-30-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

there are other healthy'er ways to have sugar, such as whole fresh fruit. It is better for you than ordinary processed table sugar.

DD
Old 06-30-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know this for a fact....but I think alcoholism is sensitive to our sugar levels......I remember a couple years ago.....I realized if I ate breakfast I usually would not drink that day. If I eat after Ive been drinking.....I'm done drinking....I don't want anymore booze. Maybe I'm just really sensitive. This is very interesting to me ......there's something to this....at least for me.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Two words: Ice Cream.

Two words portable edition: Jolly Ranchers
Old 06-30-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do eat ice cream....lately coconut pineapple w fresh strawberries and whipped cream. The portable version for me....tootsie rolls.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok Debbie you just reminded me I have some of the most yummy coconut pineapple pops in the freezer.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Eating something really does help with alcohol cravings in early sobriety. I agree with you Debbie 329 regarding that. Remember the acronym H.A.L.T. Don't get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired. All of these are triggers. Problem with sugar is that it too is addictive and eating sugar makes you crave more sugar. Kind of like when you have your first alcoholic drink, you just want more. A thousand drinks is not enough and one drink is too many.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The experienced old timers would suggest drinking plenty of water, sugar drinks and start eating more healthy food. Worked for me getting past the bumps compared to drinking.

BE WELL
Old 07-01-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didn't necessarily avoid sugar early on, not drinking was the goal and whatever kept me clocking up the days, I continued to do, diet and exercise was something I adjusted eventually, but in the beginning it was all about not drinking.

My sugar levels though did fluctuate all the time though, my mid afternoon sugar crash was something I had to deal with, when my body was expecting alcohol it would crave sugar when it didn't get it, so I gave my body what it needed just to keep pushing through!!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks guys and girls......I think low sugar is one of the reasons I haven't been sleeping well. So I'm really trying to manage my sugar intake.....today for lunch I had a regular root beer w my burger......normally I would have had unsweetened ice tea. I have to remind myself that I need sugar or I'll end up drinking again.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

I'm gonna tell you carbohydrates make you feel good. and if your an alcoholic having some carbs probably is a godo thing but get them from good sources like fruit and such and load up on it.

for the record carbs dont make you fat. I eat a very high carbohydrate low fat vegan diet and I'm lean and very energetic.

so if your craven carbs I'd say lean on the fruit its nutritious and high carb go for it i say!
Old 07-01-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Always best to check with a Dr about sugar levels just to be sure
Old 07-01-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I go to the doctors end of September.......hopefully I'll have some sober time and we can test my sugar levels then......I'm with you on that.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Zjw.....I am gonna load up on carbs......I've been avoiding sugar cause that's what I read somewhere.......I was eating fruit....but I ran out just got a fresh batch today......strawberries and bananas and I got to pints of ice cream......strawberry......I'm on a strawberry kick can you tell....... And....I got chocolate chip coffee ...... Oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff Debbie