Notices

Pace

Old 06-27-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pace

Today, myself and some friends in recovery ran the "Texas Tough 10K". It was hot, humid, and littered with long steep hills. Many times along the way I wanted to go faster than I should. Faster than my body was trained for. I would see one of the people I know pull ahead and mentally struggle to stick with my own slower pace. The saving thought that kept coming to me was "Run your own race. Set your own pace. Be your own self".

It's easy for me to get wrapped up in what others are doing. Especially if I perceive it to be better than myself. But the only challenger I need have, the only person I need to try and best in this life, is me. If I can honestly do as good as I personally can, it doesn't matter what anyone else does. It's good to be inspired by others. But not driven by them. This realization is a true gift of our program I was sorely missing before hand.

Don't let what you can't do, interfere with what you can!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice. I appreciated reading this and appreciate your continual share. Hopefully you're getting some rest today.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I loved this-you def have to run your own race. Thank you:-)
Old 06-28-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very nice.

Trying to keep pace with the buffalo stampede which accompanies the start of each race is the main reason I quit doing them many years ago.

I run by myself, sometimes some pretty good distances when I get in particularly good shape.

The peace of mind one gets from a pleasant, challenging run is something most of the world will never know.