Alcoholics Anonymous June 26

Old 06-26-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcoholics Anonymous June 26

Alcoholics Anonymous
June 26
The Vicious Cycle

How it finally broke a Southerner’s obstinacy and destined this salesman to start A.A. at Philadelphia.

In the spring of 1917, in order to beat being fired from school, I became “patriotic” and joined the Army. I am one of the lads who came out of the service with a lower rank than when I went in. I had been to OTC the previous summer, so I went into the Army as a sergeant but I came out a private, and you really have to be unusual to do that. In the next two years, I washed more pans and peeled more potatoes than any other doughboy. In the Army, I became a periodic alcoholic–the periods always coming whenever I could make the opportunity. However, I did manage to keep out of the guardhouse. My last bout in the Army lasted from November 5 to 11, 1918. We heard by wireless in the fifth that the Armistice would be signed the next day (this was a premature report), so I had a couple of cognacs to celebrate; then I hopped a truck and went AWOL. My next conscious memory was in Bar le Duc, many miles from base. It was November 11, and bells were ringing and whistles blowing for the real Armistice. There I was, unshaven, clothes torn and dirty, with no recollection of wandering all over France but, of course, a hero to the local French. Back at camp, all was forgiven because it was the End, but in the light of what I have since learned, I know I was a confirmed alcoholic at nineteen.

pp. 222-223
Old 06-26-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hell of a way to see the end to the war. Sounds like he had a good time though! I had a promising career in the Army until falling into the drinking culture at 19 which resulted in a fair bit of time in the guard house, a few beatings from NCO's, AWOL , demotion, court martial and in the end dumped unceremoniously into civvy street at 23!