Notices

I have a resentment against a local nonprofit group

Old 06-25-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have a resentment against a local nonprofit group

So a nonprofit group in my area sprang up and is dedicated to "preventing heroin addiction." I tried to explain to these people that they can not prevent or cure addiction. Also, drugs are not an addicts problem. They are their solution. I explained that the root of addiction is self-centered insanity and most addicts were crazy before they did drugs. I explained my experience as an addict. Well they got super offended and accused me of being negative and blocked me from the group. The ring leaders of this group are not in recovery. Most are people with family or friends in active addiction. They insist that drugs are the problem and they must hunt down drug dealers. This group reached out to a local treatment facility. The staff there told them basically what I told them. This treatment facility is one of the best I have ever seen. It has a good success rate compared to most. They know their stuff. I guess this group wasn't responsive to them either. All in all it really chapped my ass. I guess it bothers me because I can not control the group or the attitudes of its founders. They are on some witch hunt and it seems like they are trying to blame someone for their loved ones addiction. They can't stand being told that an addict is the only one who is responsible for their addiction. They don't seem to like the idea that they are not in control of an individuals addiction.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Wonder if this was precipitated by someone losing a loved one?? Regardless, those who aren't addicted or done extensive body of study in the field simply can't identify. The war on drugs was lost a long time ago.....

Dealing with my own resentment I just posted about, so I'm there with ya.
We'll get thru it!

Together, WE stay sober
Thanks for the post - I know we are not alone
Old 06-25-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do a fourth step on it.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Wonder if this was precipitated by someone losing a loved one?? Regardless, those who aren't addicted or done extensive body of study in the field simply can't identify. The war on drugs was lost a long time ago.....

Dealing with my own resentment I just posted about, so I'm there with ya.
We'll get thru it!

Together, WE stay sober
Thanks for the post - I know we are not alone
I have lost loved ones. Two immediate family members and countless friends. One of whom was in recovery before he relapsed and died. I guess to some I can come off as insensitive. Its not that I am insensitive. I am just very accepting of the fact that I can not control or cure an addict. Having grown up in a drug infested, dysfunctional environment has resulted in my nonchalant attitude about drugs and overdoses. It was and still is a common occurrence in my life. We all see newcomers in the rooms who are "Gung-Ho" about sobriety and the next time you here about them its because they overdosed. I guess I fail to take into consideration that most people do not have the level of experience that I do.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess it bothers me because I can not control the group or the attitudes of its founders.

that's what it sounds like, Pacc.
and it's frustrating when you have something to offer and they don't want it.

hm...kinda like this:They don't seem to like the idea that they are not in control of an individuals addiction.

not being sarcastic, Pacc, just saying i see similarities; that what gets you bothered here is very similar to what you think they are bothered about.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The first requirement is that we be convinced that any life run on self-will can hardly be a success. On that basis we are almost always in collision with something or somebody, even though our motives are good. Most people try to live by self-propulsion. Each person is like an actor who wants to run the whole show; is forever trying to arrange the lights, the ballet, the scenery and the rest of the players in his own way.

Read more in the bb starting page 60.

Personally I'm very glad someone's doing something and even if they save one person it is worth it.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Perhaps I'm reading what you've shared the way I have because of something I'm currently going through myself so if I get it wrong please forgive me that. This is what jumped off the page at me:

" I explained my experience as an addict. Well they got super offended and accused me of being negative and blocked me from the group. The ring leaders of this group are not in recovery. Most are people with family or friends in active addiction."

When our emotions kick in, even though we may otherwise see there is some major dysfunction going one, we loose sight of it and begin to take things personally. Shunning and shaming have been used, probably, ever since humans have been around. In fact, I think it even happens in the animal kingdom. Why? Because it works. For most of us, our first taste of its affects was in high school with the cliques. As I said, I could be wrong but I think you're feeling the effects of it and that's really the problem... it hurts. But, due to that pain, its seen as a "are they right or am I" on an issue. I don't think the issue is the issue. (not meaning to be "cute" there) Its what we feel when we're rejected and I don't point the "ego-centric/self-centered" finger at the alcoholic/addict who experiences it. We're humans (pre-programmed as such) and experience pain when shunned... period. But, for us, that pain can make us medicate so we have the Serenity Prayer to help us get through it. People are often frightened when their own egos are threatened and do some really cruel things when they feel that way. It sounds to me that's what you're dealing with in the "ring leaders." You can't change what they've done. You've been shunned and have to work through the pain of it. The SP can help as well as praying for them and forgiveness of them. That's all I know that works. Which is what I'm trying to do also. Good luck to you.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tradition 10:

" Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; hence the A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy."
Old 06-26-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AA Critique,

After spending over two sober years with AA I have found aspects of the basis steps and general BB teachings not absolute truths as some members seem to claim.
I will touch only today on one teaching (actually Bill W wrote of suggestions) and this relates to the dichotomy made between 'alcoholics' and so called normal drinkers. Now according to the BB normal drinkers may range from the light to the relatively heavy.
Now the 'heavy' accordingly, so long as he holds a job, doesn't cause trouble, supports his family etc is not really an alcoholic...... but may die prematurely. So called normal drinking is well tolerated by AA, while alcoholism is seen a an incurable disease. Many alcoholics, but not all claim, that one drink starts them off of a massive binge. No one would deny this claim, but does it reflect on the few, rather than the many.

By having a group of normal drinkers and a distinct group of ill alcoholics are we muddying the waters in an irrational if not dangerous way. The light to heavy drinker is not exempt from alcoholism it would seem, nor would it be obligatory. Would an approach to a very light drinking on occasions be preferable to the hard line divided stance which equates alcoholic as a completely separate entity from the [I]normal drinker.

I am not saying that extreme alcoholism does not exist, as a disease and needs desperate measures, but a good many who attend AA do not seem to reach this criterion. Conversely many drinkers out there, seen as normal imbibers may well have crossed the threshold. I do not see this arbitrary division as helpful to either group.

I am no longer a member of AA ( that's another story) and see a good deal of it's teachings as highly worthwhile but in no way a panacea for all of life's problems.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Controlling others is the ego's favorite distraction!!
Old 06-30-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

the real fight is not against the nonprofit group,but the bondage of self
it`s a inside job