Notices

Fatal

Old 06-25-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fatal

Yesterday afternoon I received a call from a friend in my SA program letting me know one of our fellows had taken his own life. Just one of the many avenues this thing will use to bring us down. I never would have guessed this a concern as the person was outgoing and seemed to always have a positive attitude. It reminded me that this disease is progressive, terminal, and fatal. But also treatable.

Before my friend even finished telling me what happened, I began thinking to myself "I need to get to work. I need to double down". If anything positive can come from such an event, it's that it serves as reminder that this is no joke. It needs to be taken with the upmost of seriousness. It truly is life or death.

There but for the grace of God, found in the fellowship of the program, and a life based on the 12 steps of recovery, go I.

Dan, you will be sorely missed my friend.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss.

I came back from last Friday's meeting shocked to hear from one of our members that he was just out of hospital after an unsuccessful attempt on his own life. He didn't even see it coming himself. Very sad. I hope he got plenty of extra numbers and encouragement from the blokes throughout the week. They certainly looked like they were rallying round (quietly and with no fuss, of course). Being a female of a similar age to him I didn't think it appropriate to give him my number, or approach him outside the group, but did feel a bit bad that I didn't reach out or offer more help.

It made me feel like I should be making more effort with my step-work and service as well. I really don't want to find myself back in the dark place I was in at the end of last year. I really, really don't want to even contemplate ever having to go through that amount of fear, pain, and self-inflicted mental and emotional isolation again.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very sorry for your loss!!
Old 06-25-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sending prayers & condolences friend
Old 06-25-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

This is exactly why the Book has a chapter called Into Action. There is no chapter entitled Into Thinking or Maybe I've done enough.

What have we done today? At the very least, I contact another alcoholic everyday = text, call, meeting or posting. For me that is acceptance daily of who I am and what sickness I have.

Sorry for those who cared and loved this man.........