Notices

Power of thought

Old 06-24-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Power of thought

This morning I woke feeling very good. Feeling in a positive frame of mind, physically fit, and with a calm nervous system. I sat down in the darkened quietude of our living room for my daily meditation. A few minutes into it, random thoughts of jealously came barging in. Followed by bursts of pride. Undoubtedly to cover up the jealousy. By the time I put the spotlight of awareness on these negative thoughts and banished them from consciousness, I was not feeing so good. I felt physically tense and my nerves were rattled. Nothing about my environment or life situation had changed. Yet I went from a place of true well being, to a place of upset, in a matter of minutes. This is the power of thought.

People, such as my formal self, might scoff at the suggestion of "mind over matter" or mentally creating your own reality. But it is a very real thing. And, in a negative kind of way, I was reminded of that this morning. Now, it's time to turn that power around for use in a positive light.

Change your thoughts. And you change the world.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I need to learn how to control my own thoughts and push them in a positive direction. However, learning to do so isn't easy. Growing up in a dysfunctional home and being in active addiction for tens years has warped my thinking patterns into a never ending cycle of negativity.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pacc1986 View Post
I need to learn how to control my own thoughts and push them in a positive direction. However, learning to do so isn't easy. Growing up in a dysfunctional home and being in active addiction for tens years has warped my thinking patterns into a never ending cycle of negativity.
It is certainly taking me a while to turn my thinking around. But it is so much better today than when I first came in 4 years ago. I just never knew I could choose to have positive thoughts. And that they eventually snowball just like the negative thoughts do.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree that having positive thoughts would be a good thing. However, I don't think I would want them to snowball like my negative thoughts. If they did they would likely become grandiose and unrealistic which may lead to disappointment. I need positive but realistic thoughts.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Yes, very true. I read an article recently about how the brain works - neurotransmitters and the chemicals released depending on mood.

The article discussed how our brains "file" memories - the data and the emotions that were involved at the time the memory was made. For example, a teacher scolded us causing humiliation and embarrassment. When something reminds us of this memory the emotion tied to it may be as real as when the event transpired.

The point was we can indeed learn to pull the data of a memory without the emotion. Fascinating stuff. We may indeed change the emotions that come out in our thoughts.

Now, all the said - Action is the key!!

Thanks Michael for the thread