Notices

What Are You Looking Forward to?

Old 06-17-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Are You Looking Forward to?

I guess the title of the thread says it all.

Whether you've just stopped drinking, you've been stopped for a while, or you are still drinking but have things you want to do, what are you looking forward to?

For me, I never really made any plans. I dreamed a lot. Of doing nothing but drinking and having everything I desired. But that doesn't happen for 99.9% of us.

So I stopped drinking on 28th Jan this year and right now I'm on long service leave from my job.

In the first few months I actually started to look forward to going to work. I like the people there and it's a nice place to be. The work is enjoyable and the pay isn't horrific.

I go to group therapy sessions once a week and now I look forward to going to these because they're helping me live my life without anxiety and hate.

Now I'm working on a long term goal. I want to be able to work from anywhere, so I'm setting up my own methods of income. I should start to see profits shortly and I'm aiming to make $500 per day so that I can live comfortably (filthy rich right? ).

So yeah! Today my sister and her family is coming over for a roast dinner. Looking forward to that as well!

How about you?
Old 06-17-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Each day is pretty good to look forward to now - it's been a few decades since I could say that.

D
Old 06-17-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to actually making memories of the rest of my life.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I look forward to going to sleep and waking up in the morning as silly as that sounds. There was so long that both of them were just awful.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
I look forward to going to sleep and waking up in the morning as silly as that sounds. There was so long that both of them were just awful.
Gosh I hear that Della. What a nightmare that was.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

More or less the same things I used to look forward, minus the drinking. Such as, and particularly summer vacation

But I also know now my dreams are attainable. I'm not leaving every place than less than I had before. I can set a goal, and be reasonably certain I can achieve. That is priceless.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm looking forward to a long trip I'm taking with some of my family in a couple weeks. So nice to be able to do that. Normal things.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'am looking at getting off my computer and out into the real world again...traveling, exploring and going place's I've only dreamed of for the last 15 years while I sat on my a**, drinking and dreaming !

It's time to make some dreams come true !

DD
Old 06-18-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The continued inner-peace which comes from working in tandem, rather than against the Universe.

Continuing to watch my children associate and model my (and my wife's) healthy living and clean eating- (Eat clean-- Run Dirty!).

A 50k Trail Run later this year.

Reflecting on my life many, many years from now and taking stock of the many positive relationships and events which occurred when I choose to stop sabotaging myself with alcohol.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy life once again
Old 06-18-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Recovery life is a journey in life. Each
day we stay sober and live life incorperating
a program of recovery as a guideline then
experiences, strengths and hopes are
accumulate or added up.

When I entered recovery 24 yrs ago
I had no idea what my life would be like
today, 24 yrs of being sober one day
at a time to get me where I am today.

I lived each day facing changes in my
life and accepting life, people, places
and things as they are suppose to be,
all to the best of my sober ability.

I thought id still be married in my
first marriage where I was unhappy,
discontent, restless, and yet it did end
at 25yrs.

I thought id never return to my home
state of Louisiana, here in Baton Rouge
where I never wanted to leave in the
first place.

Yet here I am almost 10 back in BR,
remarried 6 yrs happy joyous and free.
Healthy, happy, sober, content and so
much more simply by living my recovery
life all to the best of my human ability.

What am I looking forward to you ask.....

Well, as I don't know what the future
holds for me and all I have is today to
remain sober, I can still dream and make
plans as we have for our motorcycle ride
to Sturgis come August. The rest of my
life has been placed in the Hands of my
HP Higher Power of my understanding
for safe keeping, guidance, strength, care,
blessings, and if it be His Will for us to
continue on this journey then we will.

Just like as we made plans well in advance
to ride to Daytona this past March for
their bike rally, we both became sick
with the flu and thus had to scrap the
trip.

Sad as it may have been, but it was meant
to be for us to stay home do to all the rain
there was between here in Baton Rouge
and Daytona. If we had continued on with
our plans in the state we were in, we could
have ended up with Pneumonia.

So, now we look forward to our next destination
and pray we are protected and guided on this
upcoming fun road trip if it is meant to be.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I look forward to seeing what each new sober day is going to bless me with! I'm still getting used to this, but I can say I've never walked/hiked so much in my life! There's so many beautiful places out there! The main thing I appreciated was a liquor store! Ugh!!! Devil's Playground! To hell with that store!!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've been focused on near term stuff. I'm just over 30 days in and this is the longest completely sober stretch I can remember. I drew the line because of a recent physical so it was pretty abrupt without any planning.

During my first couple weeks I looked forward to normal sleep. And it came. Wow, what a great feeling. Waking up clear and mentally stable every day. What a novel feeling.

Then I looked forward to being totally comfortable in my day to day routine and not get nagged by the strong grip every night. That came after 3 weeks. My regular days are completely normal without drinking. I've broken the back on my brain/body expecting alcohol every day.

Now I'm focused on my health. I've been working hard and managed to drop 12 pounds. Those were the easy ones though. Felt good but still need another 10 to come off. That is going to take a lot of work but I'm looking forward to the scale reading a weight I haven't seen in nearly 15 years.

My biggest forward looking goal right now is my followup blood work on August 28th. Not only do I want to blow the doctors mind, I want to see the fruits of my labor mathematically printed out on a full blood panel. I may frame it.

Then I'm looking forward to building on the strength that the commitment and hard work has already paid me in the near term and continue to move towards a completely satisfying sober life. Hard to say how long that is going to take. But I want to get there even if it take the rest of my life.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Been stopped for a while...

I'm looking forward to a cruise to Bermuda I have coming up this summer.

I'm looking forward to the start of a new career, at age 54, that I'm currently in school again for.

Also looking forward to this summer, as I'm off from work. I'm going to quit forums for the 2 month break, as I can get lost in these places and waste away a lot of my time. Just want to put that out here and there as I'm going to disappear come this Sunday. Till September anyway. This announcement helps my commitment to stay away .
Old 06-19-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to the weekend for some relaxation!!

Hope the roast dinner went well!!
Old 06-19-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What an interesting question. I think I have been very preoccupied with "how will I do this?" that I haven't focused too much on what I am looking forward to. For me -

:: Ummm, not being embarrassingly drunk at just about every social event I attend. I'm serious with this one. I'm actually looking forward to this. I know it won't be comfortable and there will be certain events I will probably need to step away from, but the whole idea of it is so new and different to me, I'm excited about it.

:: Getting into really good shape. I am a weird one in that I worked out pretty religiously (4-5 days a week, cardio and heavy weight training) throughout my entire drinking career. Now to put this amount of work in while consuming an average of 800 calories of pure crap every night is self defeating to say the least. And I'm not even going to mention the fact that working out hungover is terrible. Really, this type of behavior is actually kind of insane. So I'm excited to see what I can do without alcohol adding the extra bloat and weighing me down.

:: I'm looking forward to experiencing new places. Over the past 5 or so years, I've been all over the country. And with the exception of a few bars, I couldn't tell you too much about any of them. They were just... drunk. And I hate that. I would actually plan excursions and site seeing and of course never go. I'm going to Las Vegas next weekend. It's scary for a person newly in recovery, and honestly if I could cancel it I might. But I can't. So I have lined up a couple of support networks, and let the person I am traveling with know I will not drink. And I'm excited to see what this is like. Because I know what being perpetually hungover every single day is like, I know very well. And I want to see the other side - whether it's comfortable or not.