Things that happen for a reason

Old 06-15-2015, 02:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things that happen for a reason

I posted not long ago about how I was at my breaking point one day... The sale of my house fell through multiple times, my daughter was being fussy, and just generally, I had had enough.

Well, my house sold today again. It was a bidding war between 4 people and I couldn't believe the winning bid. It is way more than than any of the previous offers that fell through and I thought they were pretty good. I've still got to get through the cooling off period but I can't help but think maybe this is one of those things that happen for a reason.

I am curious, what are some things in your own life, although awful at the time, you feel have happened for a reason? And what was that reason? Please share!
Old 06-15-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When we turn our will and life over to the care of God life becomes so much easier
Old 06-15-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't know so much about reasons.. clearly above my paygrade but I do feel a lot more comfortable in my own head when I follow the suggestion of the Serenity Prayer. Which isn't to say everything becomes awesome but accepting the things I have no control over and seeking ways I can express love sure feels nicer than the opposite.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

A couple of months before I retired I found what sounded like the PERFECT post-retirement job. I went through a couple of phone interviews and an in-person interview down in DC. The job would require me to relocate to DC. Expensive, but doable. I didn't get the job--they hired someone else.

The VERY week I retired, I saw another job announcement for a similar job. I applied for it like 10 minutes after the announcement landed in my inbox. I heard NOTHING for almost three months, and I forgot about having applied. Then I get a call for a phone interview. Then another interview. Then another in-person interview, also in DC (different organization than the one I previously applied for). When I got the job offer, it turned out I could work from here--no commute or relocation, I could work from home when not traveling--AND it paid TWICE the salary of the first job.

Yup, I definitely believe things work out the way they are supposed to. And I work quite often with the organization that didn't hire me. I am friendly and gracious when I do.

Oh, and CONGRATS on the home sale! YAY!!!
Old 06-15-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

15 years ago, I about died in a motorcycle wreck. Hit and run, no insurance.

Watched our whole town pull together for me. Hundreds of people I didn't even know - they made me meals, paid some of my doctor bills, sent me cards and letters, doctors wiped away some of my bills, they cleaned my house, built a wheelchair ramp for me at my apartment, and raised all of my furniture so I could use it comfortably.

My family - wow - they drove all over hell and back for me - to the store, to doctors appointments, to see my boyfriend at the time (who had been life flighted from the wreck to a hospital in a different city.) My friends and job - my boss paid me like i was working full time. It took me almost a year to be able to work full time again. My friends - well - don't know what I would have done without them.

The whole thing taught me so much empathy. I really think I had little to none before that. It taught me compassion and faith in other people - strangers even. It made me start acting like the person I want to be. I hate what happened to my bf at the time in that wreck - he never recovered fully, got addicted to drugs, now alcohol - in and out of trouble still and well on his way to a very sad ending....but for me...it probably saved my life, or at least made me give myself one worth living.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea Maybear!!

I told you that "what was for you won't go by you"!!

This is so much better then what you expected. My townhome fell through for me and then I got it. God works in wonderful ways. Just like Mir said when you turn your will and your life over to the care of God, things work out just like they were suppose to!!

So happy for you and baby maybear!! ((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))
Old 06-15-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

when my mom passed away, I was 32. as her only child I inherited her house, truck and corvette. (damn nice corvette!). plus she had given me a car, a Mitsubishi.

the house needed a new roof so I sold the Mitsubishi to pay for it.
I then traded in her Toyota pickup for a Subaru legacy wagon.

we eventually sold the house, bought a smaller house that fit us better (her house was under the flight path right before the 3rd runway at SeaTac went in and property values were dropping daily).

I eventually "sold" the Subaru wagon to my husband's daughter (she had two kids, the wagon was perfect) and bought a Subaru rally sport.

we traded in the corvette so my husband could buy a ford pick up.

when my ex and I split, I left him the house (purchased thru my inheritance) with a caveat in the divorce that he "owed" me $50k should he decide to sell.

I gave the rally sport to my daughter for her college graduation (2001). she still has the car to this day. I then bought a Subaru Baja.

when I was ready to buy the house I live in today (nice little house on a private lake) I went back to the ex, who was about to get married, and we agreed to "settle" on the $50k so that wouldn't follow him into his 4th marriage. with those proceeds I was able to pay down debt, qualify for a good loan (5% at the time, with NO down payment) and have been in this home for 8 years.

hank now has my Baja, and I now have a sedate lil impreza.

all that from 32 to 55.....23 years. (geezus pete!). my ex still has the home I left behind, he has since remarried, he traded in the little travel trailer we had for a Honda Goldwing.

I am again a homeowner with two cars in the drive, one fully paid for, one with about 3 grand left to go. my daughter had HER car fully paid for. I also inherited stock which I used to pay towards her private school/college education. (she graduated "*** laude" with two majors and a minor).

ALL of that cascading from me losing my mom.....to alcoholism 23 years ago.

I dunno, I think I wish I had my mom here today healthy and part of my life. but she chose to check out. and so I did the best with what she left me. I think she would be pleased.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Some of you know my story. My STBXAH walked out on me in May 2012. I could not see past my pain. I was miserable and bitter. Shortly thereafter I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Head/Neck cancer. I thought at the time it was the cruelest act of God ever. Everyone thought I was going to die.

Having to fight for my life helped me shift the focus off of my A abandoning me and focus on the blessings I did have. I am still human, and at times still lose my cool, but for the most part I stay grateful. I learned more than anything how to love myself. I think I would still be miserable and bitter had I never gotten cancer.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love all your stories!

Maia, I thought of what you said when I got this sale. You were right!
Old 06-15-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Love the news maybear!!!

Just before my step-dad passed away my job position was cut from a full-time position to a part time position. My step dad used to watch my two young daughters for me while I worked. The new part time position allowed me to work while they are in school so that I do not need anyone to watch them. I realize this is a weird one, but it felt like my job getting cut "happened for a reason"...
Old 06-16-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, I've had a few of those things happen too.

I lost my job a long time ago. It was a job I really loved, and I had a true relationship with the people that work there. However, within a few days I found this job that is way better money, and I am super close with my friends here too. It's been a great change.

Last summer, I had broken my leg, and was very short on money. Lots of medical bills for ongoing therapy, etc. A lady hit my car. I was so upset. However, it caused very little damage. The adjuster who looked at my car was on his last day there and wanted to make sure there was nothing additional, so he figured it all very high. I had some money I did not before, and very very little damage to my car. No one was hurt.

My X relapsed, causing me to finally do what I needed to do and divorce him. BEST MOVE I HAVE EVER MADE IN MY LIFE. I am a happier person, I am me again!

Those are just a few that are on the top of my head. I do believe things happen for a reason. Not everything, but definitely some major things.

XXX
Old 06-16-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

before I met XABF i started drinking a lot. i did not even realize that one glass of wine here and there had turned into one every night and so on.. that went on for a couple of years. Then ex and crossed paths again after not seeing each other for over 20 years. and when I realized he had a problem with his drinking. I stopped also. that was almost 2 years ago. I have not had a drink since. I don't know how bad it would have gotten, I can only say I am glad I stopped. So, he was good for something LOL, I am just kidding, well, maybe
Old 06-16-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I let God do what he needs to, somehow things work out.

The minute I try and take the reigns things start to crumble….

I'm good with things working out.