Notices

Getting back on track.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting back on track.

Hi everyone, this is my first time here. Today is 18 days since i am sober. Prior to this i went one year sober, i was very disappointed with myself for having a "Slip" but i have decided to stop beating up myself and move on. I think i got too complacent and drop my guard, and end up drinking, also i think associating with old friends who drink and visiting places where alcohol is available contributed to me drinking. This time im hoping things will be better. Im looking forward to getting some help here.
Nodyl.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey nodyl, welcome!!! when i'm dialed in and committed to my sobriety i have all my guards up and have been (moderately) successful in fighting that battle. My risk like yours is the throwback to the old days with friends and the drinking environment that i used to love so much. Falling victim to social activities that i once loved and now have realized are so detrimental to my life, health,family relations,etc...... "hoping this time will be better" has been a 100% failure for me. Best of luck. Stay strong my friend.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi nodyl and welcome to SR! It's a great place and has been an invaluable resource in my quest for sobriety.

I think you're definitely doing the right thing in moving on from the relapse. You cannot undo it, just like you can't undo the year of sobriety that you had. Use some of the skills you learned from that year, as well as lessons from the relapse, and come up with a sober plan that's rock solid.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR nodyl. I think you hit the nail right on the head with your analysis...straying from our plan or getting complacent many quite often leads to drinking. Glad you have joined us, there are a lot of resources here that can help you avoid that from happening again. There are daily and monthly sobriety threads you can join for daily reminders, and a wealth of info about all the different recovery methods used. Hope you can stick around and join us!
Old 05-31-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I'm glad you joined us.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nodyl View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first time here. Today is 18 days since i am sober. Prior to this i went one year sober, i was very disappointed with myself for having a "Slip" but i have decided to stop beating up myself and move on. I think i got too complacent and drop my guard, and end up drinking, also i think associating with old friends who drink and visiting places where alcohol is available contributed to me drinking. This time im hoping things will be better. Im looking forward to getting some help here.
Nodyl.
Welcome aboard. I can relate to the above, didn't have quite a full year, but had a long stretch and then a few "slips." Back here to get myself refocused, like you I got complacent and lazy about things, dropped my guard, and it led me back to the bottle. Back around a month now since the last slip, trying to make things stick this time. Alcohol is always trouble for me, and always will be. That year still counts though and I'm sure you did a lot of things right to get there, you can get back on track (this site is of great help), sounds like you are already.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome. I too did the same as you last year and have been struggling to get and stay sober since. Funny thing is I remember the very moment when at a restaurant I told myself that I could have a glass of wine lol.... for some of us that can never be. Best of luck I am on day 2 again (sigh)