Notices

Dreaming about drinking

Old 05-27-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreaming about drinking

Hello all, I hope you all are well.

I finally stopped drinking last year after 18 years of regularly binge drinking to blackout. Today I am 299 days sober and could not feel any better. Due to support and techniques learned from places like this I do not feel tempted to drink and truly do not feel as though I am going to slip up. However I seem to dream an awful lot about being drunk. To the point where I wake up and for 30 seconds or so am disgusted and ashamed of myself, before realising that it was a dream and I didn't f**k up!

Does/has anyone else experienced this? Does it stop? What does it mean? ! lol.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your sober time dutchsyrupguy.

I never put too much store in my drinking dreams.
I still sometimes dream of high school but I have no desire to go back there

I figure I drank a lot for a long time - my subconscious has lots of raw material to draw from.

If you feel your recovery is strong and resilient while you're awake, I think you've got the bases covered

D
Old 05-27-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you mean! I used to dream about trying to hide my beer cans, or forgetting to hide them before my husband came home. You have more time than me-congrats on 299!- so I can't really say when yours will stop or why you're still having those dreams. I think my dreams are just my subconscious way of trying to come to terms with the shame and guilt. They're a nice little reminder of what I'm working my way out of.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies and congrats guys.

I suppose the dreams are quite a good thing in one way, as the remorse and shame are very real for that short time when I wake up, haha.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I will have 2 years sober on July 5th and I still get those dreams. In my dream, I'm either trying to hide my drinking from loved ones, or I've gotten drunk and done something terrible and I can't remember doing it.

Typically ends with me waking up in a panic and then I see that I haven't drank and everything is okay. I don't think I've met an alcoholic that doesn't have these dreams, even after long-term recovery. I think becoming an alcoholic, hiding the drinking, the anxiety we've felt trying to hide it from loved ones, etc. is actually very traumatic and sticks in our permanent memory like a scar.

It comes out in dreams sometimes but it definitely gets fewer and fewer the longer sobriety time you have (at least in my experience).
Old 05-27-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking dreams are pretty common in recovery. They do lessen with time.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Haven't had one in a while but I go through spurts of them at a time. Scary when they are vivid
Old 05-27-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 299 days! I'm only 37 days in but have had a few drinking dreams. And like you I wake up feeling very anxious just like I did if I really had drank. If anything it's a good reminder of why I'm sober!
Old 05-27-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've be sober since 1998 & occasionally have those dreams. I wake up so disappointed in myself and depressed. So relieved when I realize it was only just a dream or should I say nightmare.