Notices

I have to stop this. I need to get sober

Old 05-26-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have to stop this. I need to get sober

Hello everyone. I am a long time lurker. I am a 44 year old construction worker, married, father of two. I am not an everyday drinker because I'm too sick from the night before which I guess classifies me as a bi daily binge drinker. Whatever tag I give myself I realize I have real problem. I have tried AA in the past but at the time it was not for me. I have also read many opinions on a plan. The only plan I have is I want to keep the bottle from my lips. Period. I know inside that I am not the person I have become. My family deserves better. I am ashamed to look at myself in the mirror and the man I have become. Thanks for listening. I have wanted to get that off my chest for a long time. I guess I need to figure out what to do next. Thank you all
Old 05-26-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Ben,

I'm a 48 year old dad of three and didn't like , no, despised the 'life' I'd created with my drinking. I wanted better for my family....and me. This site has been critical to my success. You can do it too.

I'm glad you're here and hope to see you stay active. It's a great first step.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Hi GentleBen + welcome! You've come to a good place. Stick around and you will get a lot of support here.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi GentleBen, glad you found the site. There is plenty to read here and many supportive people, all pursuing sobriety just like you- congratulations on your decision to quit drinking
Old 05-26-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome GentleBen
Old 05-26-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you GentleBen. I think it will really help you to be here with us.
I felt so much better when I could speak honestly about what I was going through. Everyone understood and didn't judge. I'm glad you want to take this big step and regain control of your life - you'll never regret it.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! This is a great place for support and useful info.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ben
Old 05-26-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to great place for support Ben

D
Old 05-26-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Ben. Welcome. Keep in mind, AA is not the only option for recovery! Maybe check out Secular Connections while you have a look around.

You have made a great decision!
Old 05-26-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome GentleBen. These forums have much to offer in the way of support and wisdom.

I hope you'll join us in the Class of May 2015 thread on this forum. It's a great way to meet and learn from others who are also in early recovery.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, GentleBen,

Sadly this disease causes us to feel so much shame and disappointment with ourselves. I'm glad that you found us and that you posted. There is lots of hope.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I debated whether or not to post. I am glad I did. It takes the isolation factor down several notches. I've got to get something figured out and start somehow on getting sober.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GentleBen View Post
The only plan I have is I want to keep the bottle from my lips. Period.
Me too. It works!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GentleBen View Post
Hello everyone. I am a long time lurker. I am a 44 year old construction worker, married, father of two. I am not an everyday drinker because I'm too sick from the night before which I guess classifies me as a bi daily binge drinker. Whatever tag I give myself I realize I have real problem. I have tried AA in the past but at the time it was not for me. I have also read many opinions on a plan. The only plan I have is I want to keep the bottle from my lips. Period. I know inside that I am not the person I have become. My family deserves better. I am ashamed to look at myself in the mirror and the man I have become. Thanks for listening. I have wanted to get that off my chest for a long time. I guess I need to figure out what to do next. Thank you all
Hey, Ben, I hope you stick around. Your line, "I know inside that I am not the person I have become" rings painfully true for me. When I look at my red, weathered face in the mirror most mornings I wonder who it is. I'm no expert, I'm nowhere near recovered, but I think it's important to remember who we are inside or who we want to be.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum GentleBen!!
Old 05-28-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The difficulty in getting and staying sober lies in changing one's habits and sometimes changing one's entire living situation. Avoiding the drink is just the first step.

This coming from an admittedly toxic binge drinking alcoholic. It's the one thing I've learned about my stupidity over the years. The reason oldtimer AA'ers are so happy is because they changed their lives around. They didn't just "stop drinking."
Old 05-28-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the family! Glad oh found us and congrats on your decision to stop the madness Alcohol brings.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imabuleva View Post
The difficulty in getting and staying sober lies in changing one's habits and sometimes changing one's entire living situation. Avoiding the drink is just the first step.

This coming from an admittedly toxic binge drinking alcoholic. It's the one thing I've learned about my stupidity over the years. The reason oldtimer AA'ers are so happy is because they changed their lives around. They didn't just "stop drinking."
The "living situation" thing is something I've been thing about a lot myself. Just getting a new apartment for no other reason than to mix things up. Everytime I've moved, even in the same city, I've had to adopt a new routine. As much as I love my house, I think making a move with sobriety in mind would help.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Ben. I'm a 49 year old mother and I relate to the every other day syndrome. Shame and remorse are all too familiar. Here's to looking forward and remembering everything and feeling good!