Notices

First big test

Old 05-22-2015, 12:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First big test

Family and friends are coming over this weekend,also my kids birthday.Cant cancel it or walk away from the situation.There will be temptation everywhere,Nervuzzz as I cant sleep thinking about it.Have a plan figured out already in the back of my mind trying to say I wont act on it but time will tell
Old 05-22-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering

Stick in there. If the situation becomes too uncomfortable or you become anxious to drink maybe excuse yourself. Go sit outside or in the bathroom anywhere you find peace and quiet and return to the situation when you feel more relaxed.

Hang in there!
Old 05-22-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep close to SR. Eat plenty of Sweet food. If you don't want to make a big deal about it you can tell people you're on antibiotics for a minor infection and can't drink. That helped me in a similar situation. You might find it easier than you think! All the best!
Old 05-22-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good points.Most of my friends and family know my situation.Have made a complete ass of myself on more than a few occasions.It comes down to taking deep breaths,never believed in meditation or paid attention to eastern ways......but it works for me.Just afraid of that thing knocking at the door,and it happens so goddam fast.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ignore the title - this is a good link for all social occasions:
Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

You can do this - but not without a plan.

If you can't escape at least have an area you can go to where you can decompress, maybe get SR up on your phone...even that area's the toilet...it's something.

D
Old 05-22-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a plan like having a good stock of candy,twix,sour gummy lifesavers, kit kats etc......Also chew and a cigar.I will be on the site also my wife and family don't care if I don't show my face,just don't drink.The thing that scares me is the past repeating itself,although I have more tools this time around the place I got back from after 30 days threw thd kitchen sink at me.trying to use everything I have learned
Old 05-22-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm pleased you have a plan and I feel like that's a huge step in a positive direction in itself! The amount of times things have gone wrong for me when I've gone to a social event and ended up panicking.
The suggestions here are brilliant! The one about sweets is a good one too. When I went out to a family dinner the other weekend, it felt like it was difficult to not drink for just over an hour, then I kind of went over the hump and it was much easier.
Stay close and reach out if you need to!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for that.Hope its only an hr,the thing that haunts me is past exp.I know im in a better place and cant hide from the world,just being aware that im a delicate flower and there is a storm coming....a noreaster blowing 35kts..been out in that stuff very trying.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you prepare properly, and have plans for the likely scenarios you'll find yourself in, that nor'easter can be downgraded to a gentle breeze exwell

D
Old 05-22-2015, 01:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well I feel like I am on a trip to the Hudson canyon..70 miles from my port,but I didn't check the weather.....hopefully its not a white knuckle trip been there on both fronts
Old 05-22-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If by temptation everywhere you mean alcohol and if they are coming to your place why not just say "you are more than welcome to come over but this will be an alcohol free weekend at our place".
Old 05-22-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I could request that it is a dry party but I think it might be a good thing considering im in a controlled environment.When I was in sober living I could go out for 9 hrs on the weekends ,went to resturants with the bar right there and was ok .....just a bit uneasy this weekend.My chemical counsler told me not to push the issue or put myself in too many situations where there is booze involved,she said it sets the wheels in motion and you might not realize until its too late......btw my spelling sucks...