Notices

Is this the first step so embarrassed??

Old 05-19-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this the first step so embarrassed??

Hi all i am just wondering if this is the first step for me to stop drinking i am so ashamed to admit this but i do drink during the afternoons if i am not working. Can someone please help me please i have asked for help time and time again and i am just wondering if this is my first step or am i kidding myself. I am not at a good time in my life not just with the drink but i am finding work hard and also with thanks to facebook i am now back in contact with two good friends from school problem is i have changed a lot over the 30 years we havent been in contact.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Afternoon, morning, every day drinking is pretty familiar to a lot of us.

You can stop. Make today your day one. It gets easier after getting through the first couple weeks.

Old friends? We all change a lot in 30 years. I don't tell them my deepest darkest secrets, just keep it light for now.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tizz, are you drinking now? I'm sorry if you are. I drank whenever I wasn't working. Morning, noon and night, all day on weekends. It's up to you to decide when you have had enough. If the hand of help is extended, reach back. Ditch the Facebook stuff for a bit.

All the stuff that isn't going right for you looks even more bleak because of the filter of alcohol. Can you go to treatment? Seriously. It sounds like you need a break to get away and focus on you.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's a positive step that you are here. The first step, is really to put the drink down and decide that you are done. Once you do that, you just get through your day one, and repeat. Welcome! Check in often and post often, it really does help.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome

I started drinking at 6:00 AM and didn't stop till I passed out around 10:00 PM. Drinking in the afternoon was something I did 15 years ago. Unfortunately alcoholism is progressive it only gets worse as I found out the hard way.

I had to realize that people could support me but they couldn't help me. Getting sober was something I was responsible for.

You can do this if you are willing to do the work
Old 05-19-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by tizzkins View Post
Can someone please help me please i have asked for help time and time again and i am just wondering if this is my first step or am i kidding myself.
Asking for help is probably the first step. But recovery is a journey and it takes many steps. You've asked for help many times, you say. What about step 2? Accepting the help. Doing something with the help.

As for help you've asked for, what are you using beside SR? And if the answer is "nothing" then start there. Find local help.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tizz and Welcome,

Posting here is a great step towards recovery. We do understand how hard this is. Take a look around the forums and read and learn. It usually helps if you make a plan as to how you will recovery.